cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving text messages intermittingly...

DRobL
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello. I have had a contiuning issue with receiving text messages over the last number of weeks. I intermittingly am not receiving texts, some of which are quite crucial to carrying out my work. This doesn't seem to be inclusive to any one contact, but from anyone. I have called to reset my Network connections and done the same on my phone, as well as turning my phone off and removing the battery, deleting old conversations, adjusting the limiting number of texts, etc. I am at a lost and in the meantime am continously wondering how many texts I've missed referencing changes in meeting times, locations, etc. Very Frustrating!  Is a hard reset of my phone or a new SIM card the only and definite solution?

***Edited to add labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello DRobL,

Welcome to the community!

Have you verified that your phone is receiving adequate signal? I understand your issue is intermittent but can you narrow down the problem to certain locations? Are there any places you are unable to make or receive calls or unable to send texts? If you are noticing that the issue is isolated to certain locations, it's possible there is increased interference between that location and the cellular towers (ie new building construction). Places where you used to get low signal might now be inadequate. You can get an idea of the location of the cellular towers here.

Have you installed any new apps recently (when the issue started)? It's possible that an app is causing a software conflict. You might consider trying to use your phone in safe mode. If the issue does not persist in safe mode, then it would be a matter of identifying the app causing the problem. I understand it may not be feasible to keep your phone in safe mode since the issue is intermittent.

Are you able to try a different SIM in your phone and try your SIM in a different phone? Again, since the issue is intermitent, it may not be obvious if your SIM is the issue...

If the issue is due to weak signal, then a factory reset and/or new SIM might not solve your problem.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

DRobL

@CawtauI believe I have been receiving adequate signal at all times.  This was happening at home and places of work, which has no issue with signal coverage.  If the above solution doesn't seem to work, I will for sure give the safe mode idea a try and see if perhaps an app is causing the problem.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@DRobL what is the make and model of your phone? If its a Samsung S6 or above try disabling VoLTE and see if it resolves the problem.

DRobL

It's a Galaxy Samsung S5.

@DRobL i'm not sure if the S5 was VoLTE enable you can check by opening the dialer then go to the settings and see if VoLTE is listed there if it is disable it also try disabling LTE. 

DRobL

I did just check and it's not listed, so assuming it's not a feature.

@DRobL ok next step is to diable LTE in the network settings and then test the phone, by the way is the phone a Fido phone?

Edit: Also try wiping the cach partition.

DRobL

Diabled LTE (or mobile data) in the Network settings and still able to browse on-line through Wifi and send/receive a text to myself, no problem.  I believe it was a Bell phone initially, but have had it for awhile and just had issue with receiving texts recently.

Wiped the cach partition - phone seems to be navigating through websites considerably faster.  Phone keeps posting "Currently unable to download. Please try again later" message, however.

@DRobL do not disable the mobile data then you will not receive any MMS or able to browse online in the mobile networks settings just change the preferred network types to GSM or 3G different phone and OS would have different wording but basically you don't want to chose any with LTE. 

Since you cleared the cache partition leave the LTE enable and test the phone just by clearing the cache partition might solve the problem but if the problem is still there then disable the LTE. You might want to reconsider storing alot of text messages or text messages with long history it will slow the phone and it is a common problem from what I can see on the Internet with the S5 not receiving test due to the overall all message size.

DRobL

@KAPABLE-Kclearing the cache partition has seemed to make a difference and I've restablished limits and deleting of old text messages.  Network options without LTE include WCDMA/GSM, which I'll go too if need be.  Gonna keep my fingers crossed this has resolved the issue - very much appreciate the help!

Great teamwork everyone Smiley

Thanks for keeping us posted, @DRobL !

- FidoChristina

@DRobL always happy to help, update the post if the problem is resolved.

DRobL

@KAPABLE-K, @Cawtau - spoke too soon.  Still not receiving intermittent texts. I would guess 1 out of every 7 or 8.  Seem to be no problems with sending them.  Even had my phone in 'Safe' mode for the majority of today and the problem still persisted.  Any other ideas?  I deleted all the recent apps I had downloaded.

@DRobL if you were in safe mode then its not an app next step disable the LTE and try.

If you have another phone that you can put your SIM in to test, if you can replicate the problem then its the SIM or the network. 

If you want to factory reset your phone you might want to read this post here.