Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving text messages from international banks

prashant5639
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I am not receiving any text messages from international banks like State Bank of India, Bank of America or Citibank, USA. 

I am able to text myself and text from international SIM to my fido number is also working. Its just that the bank alerts and OTP's are not working. Can someone please help?

Thanks.

52 REPLIES 52

justcheck
I'm a contributor level 2

It's not always the same number. The one I got was from a 540 area code. Once again i'm surprised to see ya'll asking the same questions when several here have already answered. Where is the solution? Can someone from the Tech team actually look into this rather than the same random questions?

Hey @justcheck!

If the short code is listed here, please check if you’ve entered the right number and that the program is still active. You can send ‘HELP’ to the short code and should receive a response providing additional information on the program. This would confirm that the program is active and you are using the correct number. 

If this doesn't help either, please contact us so we take a closer look at your account. We can also send you a PM if you prefer. Let us know!

justcheck

DO YOU ALL EVEN TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE MESSAGES?? The bank does not use short codes!!! I've already mentioned this and I've also contacted FIDO, who claim there is nothing wrong. 

I understand that you mentioned many times that you contacted them and you that contacted us. I assure you that we don't mean to repeat ourselves. We're also trying to provide you with general information and as many solutions as we can. Our goal is not to upset you. Smiley

There is another thing you can try at this point. If you have an iPhone the issue might be coming from your iMessage settings. Go to Settings, Messages, Send & Receive. Select your phone number if your Apple ID is selected instead. Your phone number should always be selected because it can stop some messages to come in.  

If it still didn't help, let us know and we'll send you a PM. It might be easier for us to have access to your account. 

justcheck

I don't mean to get upset but some of the responses from Fido have been repetitive to say the least. I have followed this thread along with other threads to troubleshoot any issues that might be on my end by following your suggestions. 

I use an Android phone, so the iMessage settings isn't an option for me to try. It would be great if you could ask someone from the Tech team to look into this with more detail and provide a bunch of us customers facing the same issue with a solution. The last thing i'd want to do is to switch carriers, all because i'm unable to receive texts from a bank. If you could somehow escalate this issue to the tech team instead of providing general suggestions(that are already available in these forums) it would be much appreciated.

Best,
M

Hey @justcheck,

We definitely do not want to see you go.  We'd love to take a look at your account. You can reach out to our customer care team or send us a private message on Facebook or Twitter. Alternatively, we can also PM you here if you'd like.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed! 😊

justcheck

You can PM me here.

PM coming your way, talk soon @justcheck

prashant5639

Hi,

I am still following this issue as I am still facing it and lost complete hope. If @justcheck gets successful please let me know the solution as well. Thank you!

justcheck

Hi Prashant,

I will keep you posted if things work out. Was your case escalated to the tech team and were there any possible solutions or reasons given to you via PM?  

prashant5639

Nothing happened. I too got frustrated just like you with the standard response. I left hope and stopped following this thread anymore.

ginamdar
I'm a participant level 2

I just switched to Fido last month and SMS from the Indian banks just stopped. It's just a big inconvenience now, I was blaming Indian banks but this never happened before last so many years when I was with Rogers on same number. Now after reading this I am very sure this Fido doing something or blocking it

justcheck

Hey Prashant, I'm giving up and moving away from Fido. Same repetitive questions in the PM's as well and they asked some ridiculous request like which number the unreceived message was from. I tried to explain that they are always different numbers and are system generated, so even the bank can't know. But they are useless and I don't think they have the expertise to solve this. I'm porting out soon and I suggest you find a carrier that does deliver messages correctly. If you have already made the switch, let me know if the new carrier, is good, I'll switch over with them as well.

prashant5639

Hi @justcheck I completely understand your situation and haven't moved yet because I have these OTP's deliver to my India number. If you find a suitable carrier please let me know as well and I will gladly make the switch.

Happy to see a realistic message on this forum after a long time 😅 Take care.

ginamdar

I had no issue with Rogers for OTP messages for so many years and now I am stuck 

Hey @ginamdar! Welcome to the community. Smiley

There is no known issue on our end for this. Technical support might be able to help and open a ticket for you. If you have examples, that would help them too. You can contact them right here

Hey @prashant5639

We're sorry you feel this way. I assure you that we only wish to help. We can send you a PM if you still want to look into it.

Let us know. 

prashant5639

Hi @FidoVanessa with so many people reporting the same problem it looks more like a common problem. I therefore request you to come out with a common and realistic approach if possible.

Thanks

Messages sent by companies and organizations will often use a number that is not assigned for "calls" , these can sometimes be random numbers and are more often than not a type of short-code number. As mentioned previously in this thread, these messages would only come through if they're originating from an already pre-approved short-code confirmed by the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association. You can see these here.  

If these particular banks have confirmed not using short-codes, but an actual regular phone number to send you messages, we would have to track these messages through our network to see why they may not be reaching their destination. To do so, we will need specific examples such as the exact numbers that was used to send the messages. the time-stamp and dates of the messages. To gather this information and to try and track the messages we will need to look directly through your account. You can reach out to us through any of the available options you see on our Contact Page

We can also send you a Private Message here if you would prefer. Let us know! 

justcheck

I have already provided such info with the phone numbers/timestaps from which I successfully received the messages from. But no, apparently that's not enough to investigate, they want a phone number of the message that I never received. How the hell is anyone going to find that number? As previously mentioned, each time a message is successfully delivered, it come from a different number, never the same. Also this bank sends outs millions of these SMS's a day, asking them to narrow it down to my account is near impossible. 

What I don't really understand is, why wasn't my account looked into directly, instead the Fido reps wanted unrealistic info. 

Almost like, here's a dead guy. Looks like someone killed him, but we can't investigate further unless he himself wakes up and gives us a lead or tells us who killed him. 

Are you taking specific actions to trigger these messages? Are they connected to a two-step authentication process? 

If so, we could use the dates and time-stamps of when you tried logging in to try and further investigate. You'll have to contact us through one of the options mentioned above for us to take another look into this with you.