cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting SMS code from RBC (week of August 30, 2021)

Icecube
I'm a participant level 3

Hi

Before now, receiving code from RBC and others worked well. I received many such code until yesterday: now I can't receive a Code from Royal Bank of Canada (august 30 and 31, 2021). I called RBC and tried sending them a test to re-register my phone, and they say my phone is registered and everything is working fine. When they escalated the issue, they told me that this is likely a FIDO problem.

I came to this side to see others have had problems this week receiving codes (from Paypal etc.). I tried turining off the wifi, "rebooting" the Iphone 10 I have (latest IOS update), to no avail. Is there a target date for Fido to solve this? I need to know. Are we talking days or weeks? We need to do transactions to pay vendors etc. and not having reliable service from Fido will be a deal breaker for my company. 

4 REPLIES 4

Icecube

TO close the loop. Friday Sept. 3rd 2021 evening I received a text from Rogers telling me that they were still working on a fix. On Saturday morning, the day after, I received another text from Rogers saying tha they could not figure it out and no solution could be provided. I tried again to access the bank and have them send me the authorization code, and it now works. I am not sure why the second text came and gave me the wrong message. It works now and if I would not have tried it, I would not have known. Oh well. I hope the fix works for a long long time, whatever they did. 

FYI I did not change any settings on my Iphone between Friday and Saturday (or even before then) so the issue was not the phone but on Fido's side. 

Thanks. 

Icecube

I called in to Fido's help desk on Wednesday Aug 30. I spoke to an expert who told me it would be escalated but I heard nothing back since Wednesday. With Fido's expert, I cleared all the "blocked numbers" on my phone (none of which were the specific number used by RBC for wired transfer authorization), I  turned on and off the device, tried moving the SIM card to another Iphone but with Rogers and using that phone (that did not work), and tried with the expert to send and received other "codes" via other short form numbers: we were successful getting codes from other short form numbers from TD, CRA, GoDaddy, and even ANOTHER number from RBC, but not THE specific number that RBC uses to send authorization codes for wire transfers. But it worked on August 25 (a week ago). The problem started on August 30th. The expert could see me try to send a SMS message to RBC but could not get a reply. This tells me the issue is with Fido. 

And since then..... no news. 

If this is not resolve, I will switch to another provider because I do a lot of online banking and I cannot afford the time and cost of going to the bank to conduct my business. So either it is solved soon, or we need to move on. 

Hello @Icecube

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to find a solution. Have you tried speaking with tech support?

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Icecube,

Welcome to the community!

We would need to take a closer look at your account and possibly open a ticket to have it resolved. 

Please reach out to us through one of these channels and we'll be able to help Smiley