cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No credit history

Ampopol
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Im a new comer in canada living here for a 1 year and half. Started working here for about a year. A lot of credit card company decline me(im aware of that), im currently employed and my fido number is still under my moms account. Now the issue is i tried to have my own acct and pay it under my name but fido wont allow it yeah because i dont have credit history yet and how can i build up it if 3 major banks decline my CC. In few months ill be 2yrs in contract in fido under my moms account. Tried asking the fido dudes in kiosk no help neither. I just want a separate acct to pay my own bills(im currently employed in bestbuy). I tried to explain my situation in customer servces still the folks cant help me neither. Now as a new comer and i reach my 2yr contract and still wont allow me to have my "own account with the same number" id rather LOSE my Loyalty to fido and get something Better. (Speaking of loyalty i had more than 7yrs of contract in my previous network in my homeland).

***Edited to add labels***

***Edited title***

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Ampopol,

Welcome to the community!

At the risk of sounding repetitive, your situation is the result of your credit history in Canada -- or lack thereof.

I understand it's frustrating not being able to properly represent your full history. I encountered a similar situation to yours when I lived in Ireland. My mobile and credit history in Canada were pretty good when I ventured to Ireland for a couple of years. However, none of the Irish mobile providers would let me get a monthly post-paid phone because I had zero credit history in Ireland. Unfortunately, they were unable to access any of my previous history in Canada. I remember being rather upset -- I even offered to pay for a full year in advance, but to no avail. I ended up having to get a pre-paid device.

Slowly but surely, I was able to build my Irish credit history...

Building credit is a process everybody has to go through. There are many websites available which provide information on building credit history.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Ampopol Welcome to the community and to Canada.

You are not eligible to have your own account for the simple fact that you don't have any credit history even if you go to other carriers you will face the same problem and as a newcomer I know its hard to start getting credit. You just have to be patient usually everyone would eventually get a credit card with the bank you use for all your banking needs. When you do get a credit card use it and pay it off right away and never carry a balance and in no time you would get a good credit history but you just have to be patient.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the above poster, it has nothing to do with fido hating you and nothing to do with the fact that you are a new comer.  It has everything to do with your credit history.  I was once a new customer like you and opened a new account but had to co-sign under my father's name because for #1, I was not of age of majority to open a cell phone, and for #2, I had no credit history at all.  I waited approximately 2 years to establish credit thru my bank (opened a savings account, paid bills on time), opened a credit card (also thru my bank), kept it in good standing for 2 years, then I asked for a transfer of responsibility to my name, they were able to but it takes Time my friend, just be patient and know your credit.

alex14
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I would look into getting a secured credit card with Capital One.  They almost always appporve anyone seeking new or rebuilding credit.  A secured credit card will require you to make a deposit that will equal your credit limit.  Sometimes a $75 security depost will get you an initial $300 credit limit.  Hope this helps.