cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Longer Getting Text Messages When Voicemail Left

webstermr
I'm a participant level 3

This started about a week ago.  I am no longer getting text messages informing me when someone leaves me a voicemail message.  This is rally annoying because since Fido reduced the voicemail service to allow only 3 messages, I know people are calling and unable to leave messages because unknown to me, the mailbox is full.

I called 611 and the person reset my voicemail but it did nothing.  I can get other text messages but not the usual voicemail notification.  Nothing has changed on my phone and I have verified that all of my settings are correct.  Any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @webstermr,

Can you check and see if you blocked the number by mistake? Also try clearing your message app cache and see if it helps.

webstermr

Hi Thanks for the reply.  i did check that and verified that I did not block anything.  I have called Fido at least 3 times on this and they've reset my voicemail and it made no difference.  A month ago I called them and was given a case number and told I would receive a call back in 3 days.  Four weeks later, not a peep out of them and no fix for my issue.

This is really aggravating since they crippled the included voicemail service by limiting you to three messages.  Every day or so, I find out, much to my surprise, that three people left me messages (which I was not notified about) and subsequent callers have been getting the "voicemail full" message.

This is an extraordinarily annoying issue.

Hello @webstermr,

What's the make and model of the phone you are using? Did the phone had any updates prior to the problem?

webstermr

Motorola Moto One vision.  I bought it elsewhere brand new.  Worked perfectly for the first month or two and then out of they blue the SMS messages from "18" indicating that I had voicemails just stopped coming.  No update or anything before it happened.  There has been one or two since.

Hello Webstermr,

Welcome to the community!

Have you verified whether those messages might be stored on your SIM? The SMS messages from 18 used to activate the Message-Waiting Indicator on cellular phones. Unfortunately, that functionality isn't available anymore. It's possible those SMS are getting stored on your SIM rather than on your phone like regular messages. If your SIM is full, you will not receive those SMS until you make room on your SIM.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

webstermr

That might have been the problem.  Not sure how to check if messages were being stored on my SIM card or not.  In the end, I ended up getting a new SIM card and that solved the problem.  Tech support finally verified that the notifications were being sent but were bouncing as "undeliverable".  I tried my SIM in a different Fido device and still had no notification.  Tried their SIM in my phone and the notification came right through.  Went to the Fido store, forked over $10 for a new SIM and the problem is solved.

Is there some way I can see what is being stored on my SIM card and get rid of them?  I delete those notifications right after I read them.

Hello again,

Glad to hear that you're now able to receive those notification messages.

You should be able to view the messages stored on the SIM card, though the method to access them might vary depending on your phone. You could try Messages --> Settings --> More Settings --> Text Messages --> View Messages on the SIM card. You might have to search the different Messages menus for your particular phone in order to find how to access the stored messages.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello @webstermr,

You have to understand that Fido can not give much tech support for that phone because it's not a phone they carry.

Did you try clearing the messaging app cache? I would even try clearing the phone app cache also.

Do you have any antivirus apps installed? If so try disabling it and see if it helps.

If nothing works I would suggest doing a factory reset.