cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New company phone = transfer Fido phone and plan to spouse for term

Tleader1999
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I signed up for a Fido 2 year plan with phone last year.  I now have a job that only allows corporate phones so will be requesting to port my personal number to the new corporate phone.  My wife will take over my phone and plan for the remainder of the term, and port her Rogers number to it (Rogers plan is not on a term).

1) What are the correct steps to do this in the most cost effective way?

2) What will be the charges from Fido - $45?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Tleader1999,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a means to do what you're hoping to accomplish. The plans are associated with the phone number and not account per se. It is not possible to port your phone number out and keep the same plan. Once you port your phone number to the other phone, your Fido line would be cancelled and you would be required to pay the balance of your device.

Even if your wife takes your Fido SIM card and ports her Rogers phone number, you wouldn't be able to port your phone number out because the process requires that the phone number to be ported-out has an active line. Once her phone number ports-in, your number would no longer be active. In addition, it's possible that the plan would not be applicable to your wife's phone number so you would also need to pay the balance of your device. However, if you have one of the newer financed Payment Program plans, you might not have to pay the balance if the plan is changed.

You could transfer responsibility of your line to your wife (see here and here). However, she would need to keep your phone number.

Is the corporate-only phone requirement the physical device or associated corporate plan? If it's just the physical device, you might be able to use your Fido SIM in your corporate phone. Since the Fido line would still use your phone number, you would be able to continue with your plan and monthly financing without having to pay off the balance, like you would if your line were cancelled.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers