cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM Card and cannot set up voicemail

CindyH1
I'm a participant level 2

I have a Samsung S8 and we switched from Rogers to Fido.  I got a new SIM card and now cannot set up my voicemail.  I dial the VM number, get the prompt to enter my phone number but it states it is not a valid number.  cannot get past that point.  Very frustrated. 

4 REPLIES 4

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @CindyH1,

Welcome to the community!

You don't need to call the voicemail number just press and hold 1 and follow the prompts, you can also find more info here and here.

CindyH1

Thanks for the reply!  That is the major problem - I do not get the prompts you are referring to.  My husband got them on his phone but he got a new phone so they backed up the old phone and tranferred to his new phone so it obviously kept all the settings.  I did not want or need to upgrade the phone at this time so I just got a new SIM card.  I was more concerned with making sure his phone was working properly for his work needs, never thought of the affect on my phone getting a new card but not being backed up first. Sad  I do not get any prompts other than being asked to enter the phone number and then saying it is not valid.  So begins the endless circle.  Is there by any chance someone I can call at Fido to talk to someone??

Hello CindyH1,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with setting up your voicemail. I understand you switched from Rogers to Fido and you only got a SIM card. Had you kept your phone number from Rogers? That is, did you port your phone number from them? If you did port your number to Fido, had you tested to see if the port completed? During the porting process, the voicemail service will be active on the temporary number (see here).  Once the port completes, it should transfer to your number.

In general, I don't think getting a new SIM card from a different provider would require backing-up a device. The only changes would be network or carrier settings (ie APN) which should not affect voicemail settings. That said, you may need to program the voicemail shortcut on your device if the new number did not get saved automatically.

You should also note that these forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. As such, we do not have access to customer accounts. If you would like to speak with someone at Fido, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

CindyH1

Thanks!  I susupect the port forward has not been completed. Yes I did keep the same phone number.  But when I look at the full plan details on the summary page of the account nothing appears.  Looks like I will try to call cusotmer service one evening after work.  Thanks again everyone for your help! much appreciated.