Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network

rahilsurani2021
I'm a participant level 2

Hi, 

I am fido for long time .. recently I have move my place and living in basement room.  Does fido have any solution for my problem where I am only receiving 2 signals.. and internet takes such time to load..  please contact your R&D and provide me with solution. 

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Rahilsurani2021,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having signal issues at your new location. The nature of cellular service is that it is dependent on being able to receive adequate signal from the cellular towers. Adequate signal would depend, in part, on your location relative to the cellular towers. In addition to your proximity to the cellular towers, there are also many factors that can affect cellular reception (see here and here). That's why no mobile provider can guarantee service. There are just too many factors beyond their control.

Unfortunately, basements are not conducive to good cellular signal. They are generally below ground and surrounded by concrete. While the lower frequencies (ie 700MHz) are better able to travel farther and penetrate deeper than higher frequencies (ie 2600MHz)(see graphic here), they also have a narrower bandwidth so potential data speeds would be slower than with higher frequencies. In fact, 2600MHz has approximately 4x the bandwidth of 700MHz (see table here). It's possible your device is only able to connect to the lower frequencies in your basement. The relatively poor signal and low frequency used could account for your internet being slow.

As Original_Lucy noted below, if there is adequate signal outside, signal boosters may be an option.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello @rahilsurani2021 , there are cellular boosters available for improving your signal in low areas. They can be quite pricey, but you can search at your favourite tech outlet. Also, do you have reliable Wi-Fi at home? If you are on a monthly postpaid plan, you can turn on Wi-Fi calling and switch to that at home. If that's not possible for you, call *611 from your device and ask for technical support to discuss your options and for trouble shooting. 

rahilsurani2021

Thank you for reply,  I will check what would be my best options.. I don't have wifi. 

Thank you.