cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile number spoofed

howie381
I'm a participant level 2

I suspect that my mobile number has been spoofed.  Someone called me claiming that they received a call from my device.  I never called anyone.  I even verified in my call log.  If my number has been spoofed, what can be done?  Are there any security risks?

2 REPLIES 2

howie381

Thank you for your response Cawtau
After posting my situation on social media, I now realize how common this problem is.  😠  It is fustrating but most people understand that there are many victoms to this growing problem.  

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Howie381,

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. As you are aware, the numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people like yourself. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

With regards to security, it's very unlikely they have access to your account or information. Rather, the spammers/scammers will tend to spoof phone numbers within their target range to make potential victims think the calls are coming from people they might know. As explained in another post, it's actually rather simple to target customers from a particular provider. All they need is to choose an area code and prefix for their chosen target and sequentially dial those numbers from 0000 to 9999. Since the calls appear to come from similar numbers,  it's called Neighbour spoofing (see here). In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls, called mirroring.

Unfortunately, not everyone is aware that many of these calls are from spoofed phone numbers. In some cases, people in similar situations to yourself have received rather unpleasant return calls from irate people. Until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), we will have to continue to inform people that many of those calls are from spoofed phone numbers.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers