Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data unstable

Sandy42
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello,

For the past few days (Feb/2/2015 and before), I am seeing the following on my iPad and Fido Data:

-- Signal indicator (top left corner of iPad) normally displays "oooo. Fide LTE" ... this is good. For about 15 seconds.

-- Then "o.... Fido" (not good, low signial, unable to make data connections) ... for about 15 seconds.

-- Then the indicator goes back to "Searching ..." for a few seconds.

-- The above cycle is repeated continuously (as of Feb 5 AM).

The net result is that the data connection on my iPad has become almost unusable. Prior to this, I've never seen any data problems.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this and why it is happening and what the solution is?

Thanks,

Sandy.

19 REPLIES 19

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Maybe you can try go to Settings -> Cellular Network -> Turn off  "Enable LTE", this will let the device (phone or ipad whatever)  use 3G as data connection mode, which may help to get more stable connection, and for sure the speed will be slower than LTE mode, but it still should sufficient in most cases. 

If still not working, you may try to do a factory reset with itunes, with your Fido sim in the iPad. 

I cannot guarantee this will work, but it worth trying. :cathappy:

Sandy42

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I've tried turning off LTE, but with no effect. As mentioned above, and FYI, I've also tried a non-Fido/Rogers SIM and saw the same problems.

I've done a complete restore-to-factory, also with no effect. However, I did take the SIM out of the device during the restore. Since it took almost 3 hours to fully restore ... I will have to consider before doing that exercise again!

- Sandy

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

For my experience, if you do the reset while there is a sim in the device, itunes may download a specific profile for that carrier, which may help to resolve your issue.  

But in the end, your issue sounds like mostly cause by ios 8.1.3, and only time can be a solution in this case Sad 

Sandy42

Well ... now I may have to try again with the SIM card in. I guess it's a very long shot, but I really want to fix this.

Hi Sandy42,

From what you said it's clearly a device is issue. Hardware or software related we don't know but your guess about the cause being iOS 8.1.3 is a good guess since that's when you say the issue started.

To be honest, my best advice is to go directly to the Apple store. Especially if the device is still under warranty from Apple. Even if it isn't they may still be willing to offer your support on their product I just don't know if they will charge you a servicing fee. You can also call Apple support but I'm not sure you would get much further in your troubleshooting than what you've already done.

Please let us know if Apple store or support were able to assist you with this and what they said the issue was and how they fixed it. Thanks

Sandy42

Hi Rob, Rachel,

Went to Apple Genius Bar. They did a "low level restore" which is different that a "restore to factory". The low-level will restore firmware as well. It can be done at home (search for ipad restore firmware) something like: attach to computer, press home+power, wait for black screen, wait for logo and then let go of the power button (but keep pressing home button). follow instructions. The Apple guy suggested that I not restore from backup, but "sync". Since I did not want to waste additional time, I synced media and apps with itunes and did all settings manually. Warning: some data may be lost (i.e Notes) unless special care is taken to backup in some other ways.

Problem solved. Fido SIM is now working after firmware restore.

- Sandy

PS: Device not under warranty. No charge for Genius Bar. They were very helpful.

PPS: Fido LTE is the best for the GTA!

Awesome Sandy42, glad to know it's working!

Enjoy! Smiley

Sandy42

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the followup. As replied to Rachel, I plan to go to a store in the next couple of days. I've tried the Apple forums ... no luck. I also did another complete restore (again) but leaving the SIM card in. Still no go. Will update these forums with news. For the moment, I have no mobile data. Well, I suppose I will be saving on data charges Speechless

- Sandy

Did you have the chance to visit an Apple Store Sandy42?

Let us know!  

Sandy42

Hello Rachel,

I plan to go to a store in the next couple of days. (Feb 19 ...). Will definitely update these forums.

- Sandy

FidoSamantha
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi Sandy42!

Is this happening everywhere or just in a specific location? If it's in a specific location, can you tell me where you are located exactly? If it's happening everywhere, it would be a SIM or hardware related issue. 

Also, how long has your service been active for? 

Let me know and I'll see what I can do to help Smiley 

Sandy42

Thanks for your response.

It happens both downtown and in Richmond Hill. I've definitely noticed since end of last week (Friday?).

If you look at another thread from this afternoon, another person has symptoms that are very similar:

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/thread-id/8659

Shroud27:

... I'm on a Nexus 4 and I get data connection for about 5 seconds, then it drops for 15-17 seconds, then on again for 5 more seconds and so on. Tried it in Markham, in Scarborough (I live right next to a Rogers Cell Tower), and even in Midtown Toronto (Yonge and Eglinton).

FidoMatt
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

The first thing to try would be to put your SIM card in another phone and try another SIM in your phone. This would help isolatie the problem as it may just be an issue with the SIM or even the phone OS. 

How long have you had this SIM card? 

Mathieu

Sandy42

Thanks for the followup.

>>The first thing to try would be to put your SIM card in another phone ipad

I will try that tonight on another iPad.

>> and try another SIM in your phone.

Well, this is an iPad ... not sure where I'd get another FIdo SIM with data plan.

>>How long have you had this SIM card?

More than a year

FidoMatt
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Should have written device to avoid confusion, but it is the same for iPad. 

Let us know of the results. 

Mathieu

Sandy42

Here are the results and conclusions of troubleshooting cellular problems and lack of connectivity.

• Tried Fido SIM in an older iPad ---> No troubles seen.
  • Tried Fido SIM in an iPhone with older OS version --> No troubles seen.
  • Tried "Other Carrier" SIM in problematic iPad --> Same problem as Fido SIM.

Other details:

• iPad is iOS 8.1.3 recently upgraded.
  • I skipped 8.1.2 ... but the problem could have started there as well.

My conclusion:

• I think this is likely an iOS 8.1.3 problem.
  • 8.1.3 is seeing plenty of other problems, so I attribute this cellular problem to this version
  • I think I started seeing problems around the time I did the upgrade to iOS 8.1.3.

I have no way of verifying this as I cannot (reasonably) rollback the iOS version. I'll have to wait for Apple to release a new version. In the meantime ... I have no cellular connection from my iPad.

Well that was conclusive!

Did you contact the manufacturer to see if it may be a known issue? 

Sandy42

Hi Rachel,

I've posted to the Apple Support forums and followed their troubleshooting steps ... nothing changed (even after a complete restore).

Next step is to take the tablet to the folks at the Apple Genius Bar ...

FidoMatt
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Let us know of the results Sandy42. 

- Mathieu