cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Hotspot Bandwidth Throttling

Krispychik3n
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Hopefully, this is posted in the correct area.

Hey guys,

I am here to express some disappointment in the mobile hotspot throttling policy.

I have been using my mobile hotspot more frequently in order to expand on my remote/field working options. The expectation is that a normal connection speed (limited only by LTE connection quality and device capabilities) would be provided. I have found that Fido is currently throttling hotspot speeds to only 3.8 Mbps, or approx 0.475 MB/s.  These speeds limit, while understandable and needed to protect connection quality for all users - are to low for daily use. 

Please consider raising these limits to at least 16 Mbps (2.0 MB/s) in order to provide a good quality connection for those of us relying in your networks for remote/field access to our work systems.

Thanks Fido,

Chris.

3 REPLIES 3

thebonman
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Yes, Fido clearly throttles the data bytes sessions and it's very annoying. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Krispychick3n,

Are you using the hotspot with one of your 5 hours of Data Bytes? If your attempts were with Data Bytes, then yes, they do limit upload and download speeds (see here). However, I'm not sure they are throttling hotspot usage when using data from your plan. These are some of the test results I obtained while tethered to my mobile device:

Screenshot_2020-09-04-12-33-14.png

Speedtest PC.jpg

The first screen capture was from a mobile device connected to the hotspot, while the second was a PC connected to same hotspot. Unfortunately, I forgot to test the connection LTE connection itself. I admit, the upload speeds are low. However, it should be noted that those speed results are also through a VPN.

Is it possible your remote/field access results in a slower connection due to reduced bandwidth caused by the location (ie distance from cellular towers), band frequency, etc? Is it also possible that you have multiple devices sharing the same bandwidth?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Krispychik3n
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Yup. I'm a **bleep**.  Can I walk away from this chat with my tail between my legs?

Thanks for clearing this up.