cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Billing issues

famille
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

When I received my most recent mobile phone bill I was surprised to see that Fido charged me the minutes I spent when I was on a FREE 1-800 number to the CRA. I phoned Fido about this and their response is that while tge call is Free the minutes aren't and my plan has limited minutes. 

I paid my bill but I feel that this argument misleads the public in the definition of a FREE 800 number and what it entails!

Even for my call to Fido itself, the minutes were being debited. I can't help thinking that it's not right! I'm not sure I will keep this provider as Fido was unwilling to do anything about it! Christine 

2 REPLIES 2

rimitparekh
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Worst customer service and they over charged me for no fault of mine
I had 40 dollar plan with 10gb data and 1000 international calling
On aug 14 i upgraded my device to iphone 13 for which my plan was switched to 45 dollar plan for 25 gb and my 1000 min went away however when i spoke with customer care rep they said i still have it and the new device was turned out faulty so i had to returned it back and I requested the fido to give me back my original plan of 40 gb after 1 hr on call and they changed and after 2 days the plan changed but i was not able to use my data and i called fido 4 times on friday aug 27 they told me they couldn’t resolve the issue my ticket number- C179731016
And i had to pay out of my pocket to upgrade my plan to $60 plan and additional 15 $ and i lost my 1000 international calling minutes as well
Very incompetent

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Famille,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've received some unexpected charges on your bill. It's unfortunate that you did not understand how calling toll-free phone numbers using mobile devices works. 

@famille wrote:

... misleads the public in the definition of a FREE 800 number and what it entails!...

1-800 numbers are not free per se. Toll-free numbers simply means that there are no long distance charges associated with the calls. Airtime will always apply when calling any phone number from a mobile device, including toll-free numbers. It's the same with any of the mobile providers. That's why it's specified that toll-free numbers are free of charges from a landline (see here, here, here, and here etc). In fact, that first link even notes:

You may be charged for a toll free call from your mobile phone unless you have unlimited minutes in your plan

The only way to not incur airtime charges is to call them from landlines. If you exceeded your allotment of minutes, any excess minutes used would be charged extra.

It should also be noted that toll-free numbers may not be free of long-distance charges from everywhere (see here). In addition, they are also likely not free of long-distance charges if called from abroad (see first link above and elsewhere).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers