Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance calling with FidoRoam

zeesaj
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I am planning to go to UK this month. I know its $10 a day for using my plan there but I have 1000 mins within my plan which covers UK too.

How the charges would work?

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Zeesaj,

I'll assume you have a Pulse plan and are eligible for Fido Roam since you noted the $10/day...

Firstly, the 1000 international minutes are only for the long-distance (LD) portion of a call to one of those countries. Long-distance calls are billed by the minute and airtime charges apply (see Full details here). So a call to one of those countries (aside from evenings and weekends) counts against both your international minutes (LD) and minutes (airtime). If you use up all of your Anytime minutes (assuming you don't have unlimited minutes), you will be charged for additional airtime.

When travelling, calls back to Canada are included in Fido Roam as are calls that are local to your destination. Calls within the country you're visiting are considered local. While you're in the UK, calls within the UK would be considered local and not use up your 1000 international LD minutes. Calls to other countries would be considered LD as if you're making them from Canada.

As with calls, messages sent back to Canada are included with Fido Roam. Messages to all other destinations will be charged as if you’re making them from Canada. That said, if  your plan includes international messages, they would also be included with Fido Roam. 

You might also verify whether your phone/device is compatible with the local networks as most European providers use different bands/frequencies from North America. You can see the bands/frequencies used by the different countries by selecting from the drop-down menu here (bottom of page). You can also verify the countries bands/frequencies here.

You might also consider trying to get an idea of the local mobile networks' coverage at your destination. Mobile phones roam on the existing infrastructure at the destination. Fido's service cannot extend beyond what is available locally. It's the customers' responsibility to check whether their phones would work at their destination. Open Signal can give you an idea of the coverage at your destinations.

Have a great trip!

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey everyone! Just wanted to post a little update here as the rates to FidoRoam have been updated since this thread began Smiley

To check out the rates and for tons of other info on the service, check out this link.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @zeesaj,

The 1000min is only if you are in Canada and calling the UK.

If you are in the UK and you have the Fido roam then you will be charged $10 a day for the first 10days and then its free after the tenth day in the same billing cycle.

So you can use your phone in the UK just as how you would in Canada.