cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Area

grateful1
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2
The prepaid plans list the following yearly plan but does not define what is considered a local call if you live in a large city like Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary etc: yearly prepaid plans
TALK & TEXT
$ 100 /Year
  • Talk: 400 anytime local minutes

I could not find any definition of what is considered a local call and when a call becomes long distance in a large city like those above. Can anyone answer this for me please?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Grateful1,

Welcome to the community!

There isn't an easy answer to your query. Firstly, it's helpful to think in terms of local calling area (LCA) vs long-distance (LD) calling. It's also helpful to differentiate between incoming and outgoing calls.

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number. It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you’re standing.

All incoming and outgoing calls are considered airtime. Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD. Making calls while travelling can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

Generally, if you live in a large city like Vancouver, calls within the city and greater Vancouver area would be considered local (assuming you make the call from within the Vancouver area). On the other hand, if you are travelling to, say Toronto, and make a call to a Vancouver number, it would be considered LD because your outgoing LCA would be the greater Toronto area (GTA). However, making a call to a Toronto number would now be considered local because of the change in outgoing LCA. In addition, since your incoming LCA would still be Vancouver, all incoming calls would be considered LD when you receive them in Toronto.

You should note that things can be a little more complicated when calling mobile phone numbers as they would have their own LCAs. For example, if you had a friend visit you in Vancouver from Toronto, calling their cellular phone number would be LD even though they might be physically in Vancouver. That's because their phone number would still be designated as a Toronto phone number.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible to provide a definitive answer to when a local call becomes LD for all those cities as the boundaries are determined by the phone numbers themselves (area code and prefix). You can get an idea of the LCAs for the different rate centres here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers