Living in Alberta yet paying QST

I'm a Participant Level 3 Sanowarh
I'm a Participant Level 3

Living in Alberta yet paying QST

I have a phone with area code 514. I have been using this number for a while and want to keep it. I just switched to Fido last month. As I have Quebec number, I asked if I would qualify for Quebec plan. But the salesman told me "NO". As I don't have a physical address in Quebec, I don't qualify. It made sense to me. And I went ahead taking the new plan with Fido. Now I got my first bill this week. I see it includes QST on the bill. I don't know, why should I pay QST living in Alberta. They would not give me a Quebec plan, but they want QST!!!

I was with Virgin mobile and I had a Quebec plan. And yet I didn't pay QST for the most part of my services.

How can I solve this?

Accepted Solution

Re: Living in Alberta yet paying QST

Hey Sanowarh!

I hear you, but the taxes are directly related to the location associated with the phone number you're using.

You know what though, I double checked on the plan for you, because what you're saying makes sense, and I have great news for you!

As long as you have a Quebec phone number, you can take a Quebec plan. You no longer need to have both a Quebec number and address as was necessary in the past. 

You can change your plan at any time in My Account on Fido.ca under the Services tab. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
Former Moderator FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Hi there @Sanowarh

Thanks for reaching out about this!

If you have a Quebec number, you're billed taxes associated with the province for that area code. 

The goods and services tax (GST) and the Québec sales tax (QST) are billed to all customers with Quebec numbers.

As for obtaining a plan reserved for Quebec customers, you must indeed have a number/billing address that match that same area. If you'd like a Plan for Quebec, you can simply change the billing address, for one in Quebec.

Let me know if that's something you'd like to do Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
I'm a Participant Level 3 Sanowarh
I'm a Participant Level 3

I don't live in Quebec. How can I change my address to Quebec? I live in Alberta and should pay the tax for the place I am living.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Solution

Hey Sanowarh!

I hear you, but the taxes are directly related to the location associated with the phone number you're using.

You know what though, I double checked on the plan for you, because what you're saying makes sense, and I have great news for you!

As long as you have a Quebec phone number, you can take a Quebec plan. You no longer need to have both a Quebec number and address as was necessary in the past. 

You can change your plan at any time in My Account on Fido.ca under the Services tab. 

Hope this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4