cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOST MY INFO ON OLD PHONE

yvonneswiston
I'm a participant level 2

I was talked into trading in my old Samsung phone for a Huawei phone. I didn't want to surrender my old phone but the sales person ASSURED me that she would transfer ALL my info from old phone..  I LOST important medical information and personal private info on the transfer...  When I went back to the store very upset, the girl was very condescending and told me she tried to "keep it simple" for me..  I was NOT happy..  My old phone is gone now.. How can I get those notes back?  Sad

5 REPLIES 5

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @yvonneswiston,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear that you lost some of you data.

The medical info and the private data whether or not you can retrieve it depends on how it was stored in an app that was being backed up to the cloud like Samsung or Google then you might be able to retrieve it.

If it was not being backed up then unfortunately you will not be able to get it back unless you get your hands on the phone again. 

yvonneswiston

Thanks for the reply... unfortunately my phone is gone now.  The girl at the store told me it was bring shipped away do I lost it..  I am so very upset over this.  Should I talk to the manager? She SHOULD have told me to back up everything before surrendering my old phone..    I told her I wasn't sure if I backed up anything as I'm not techy...    What to do?

Hello Yvonneswiston,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear that you lost all that important information. I understand you are upset and I believe you have a right to be upset. Unfortunately at this point, I don't think it's likely you'll be able to retrieve any data from it (unless it was backed up somewhere).

While I don't think the store's manager will be able to retrieve the data for you, I do think you should voice your concerns with them. Yes, it is the customer's responsibility to ensure all information is backed up and removed from the device prior to trading-in. However, if the store was willing to transfer the information from your old phone to a new phone, it is not the store clerk's authority to decide to 'keep it simple' for you. They should have transferred all of the data. It is possible the clerk made a mistake, but they shouldn't have defended their mistake by claiming it was for your benefit. It may not help your situation, but it may prevent similar instances from happening to others if the store continues to transfer data on behalf of their customers.

Also, depending on where the old phones are shipped, they may be able to track the shipment's location. While the possibility of actually retrieving your old phone is extremely remote, I still think it's worth asking. The worst they can say is that it can't be done...

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

yvonneswiston

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate everyone who gave me advice with this issue.    I know my info is probably lost now and the sales person did her best to make a good sale.. She was knowledgeable but didn't listen to my concerns regarding giving up my old phone...  I think I just need to sit down with the store manager and let them know how disappointed I am with the service I received..  I was also told I couldn't return this new phone after 15 days.. ( I was originally told I had 30 days)..  

Hello @yvonneswiston,

If the phone is gone then there is no point in speaking to a manager that person will not be able to get the data back. 

Given the person should have told you to make sure you have all your data backed-up but it's always our responsibility to ensure our data is backed-up before doing any return/trade-in. Only the owner would know what data he/she has on the phone that needs to be saved. Most people will just backup the basics like pictures, contacts, and email.

As I had mentioned before getting back some/all the data depends on how you had it stored and was it being backed up to the cloud. 

When you set up the new phone it would ask you if you want to restore from a previous device you can choose that option and it will find the last device you used with the email address you used. 

It will then give you a list of the apps that can be restored, but if those apps were not designed to backup data or if you did not have it being backed-up then it will not restore any info.

At this point you only thing you can possibly retrieve is what was being backed-up to the cloud, if nothing was being backed-up then, unfortunately, there is nothing else that can be done. 

I know that's not what you want to hear, sorry.

Also you said your old phone was a Samsung did you had a memory card in it by any chance? If so did you take it out and check if any of your data was being stored on the card?