cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls in Cuba?

Kid_Icarus
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

So I know that Cuba isn't included in Fido Roam and the a la carte options are prohibitively expensive ($1.50/MB for data!!). I can easily do without or rely on the lousy hotel wi-fi, so it's no problen to turn data roaming off. Incoming text messages aren't billed but what do I do about incoming calls? There's no way to turn cellular roaming off on my iPhone so am I just best putting the thing on Airplane Mode the whole time just to avoid getting dinged if someone calls me? Any feedback would be helpful!

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Kid_Icarus,

Welcome to the community!

While it is true that you will not get charged for incoming SMS, you should note that receiving (or sending) the data portion of a MMS outside of Canada would be considered roaming data and would be charged accordingly. You should also note that MMS data does not get transmitted via Wifi so it would still be considered roaming data even if you were connected to Wifi. Disabling data and/or roaming data should prevent those charges.

In addition, you should also note that rejecting or declining a call while outside of Canada is not the same as not answering the call. If you do not answer a call (ie let the call ring through), the call will get forwarded to your voicemail via the Fido networks. On the other hand, if you reject or decline a call when travelling, the call gets forwarded to your voicemail via a foreign network. The former would not incur roaming fees while the latter will likely incur fees.

As you note, an option to not receive incoming calls is to put your phone in Airplane mode and then enable Wifi when desired. Alternatively, some people also remove their SIMs prior to leaving Canada to also avoid roaming charges. Note, however, in either of those cases, you will not be able to receive SMS either.

Another option -- albeit slightly riskier -- is to set your phone to ring silently. Your phone will still be able to receive SMS and you won't be bothered by the ringing of calls. However, there's always the possibility that someone accidentally accepts or declines a call, thereby incurring roaming charges.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers