cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block a phone number?

Fergie
I'm a participant level 1

Since acquisition of my new phone with Fido (since May 21, 2012), i started to receive calls from 1-877-866-9930.  They hang-up as soon as I answer and once it shipped me ``on hold``!  I believe it could be a spam call, therefore I wish to block their number from my IPhone 4S.  How can I do so?  Thanks in advance

36 REPLIES 36

Hey there @ljfawkes1

Welcome to the community Smiley

Do you currently have Call display available in your plan? To clarify, all our in market plans include this feature now, and the feature will enable you to view the incoming caller's number. Calls are only charged when the call connects/when you accept the call. In other words, if you ever decide to reject it, we do not charge you for unanswered calls.

You also have the option to save the numbers calling you to your contact list, this way you'll be able to identify them the next time they call. That being said, blocking incoming calls works differently. There's actually a lot of existing third party apps that have the ability to do that.

Solutions offered on our end are limited. Having a block added on your Fido line will simply restrict all your network access for calls, which is not the best solution. As for the reason why we do not block numbers on our end, it was previously explained by @Cawtau:

It's not about potential loss of spammers as customers or losing revenue. It's about trying to protect innocent customers whose numbers have been spoofed. While the likelihood of spammers spoofing your number might be small -- given the vast pool of numbers to choose from, it's possible. How would you feel if the networks blocked all of your services seemingly for no reason? Even if they didn't block your services per se, blocking your number would mean that you couldn't call or message anyone. All your calls and/or messages would be blocked. That's what would happen if they blocked numbers at the network level.

We also thank you for your feedback, but Tinder and Fido do not offer the same services. As a service provider, we need to abide with the rules and regulations in place. To put it in simple terms, we would simply suggest rejecting calls that you do not recognize (not saved in your contact list on your phone). That is also the general rule on how to avoid spam calls.

Hope this helps and let us now if you have any questions.

icarson
I'm a participant level 2

pammers do not adhere to the do not call list so why would beiing added help.

I have 5 phones with Fido and on the verge of moving to another service.

Add call block to end the frustration.

Hello Icarson,

Welcome to the community!

You're right, spammers do not adhere to the Do Not Call list. However, registering on the list should prevent calls from actual telemarkers.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to prevent SPAM calls. Often, they use spoofed phone numbers to hide their true identification. As such, the networks cannot simply block those numbers because they usually belong to unsuspecting parties. Your numbers could have even been used to spoof phone calls to other people.

I understand SPAM phone calls and SMS are annoying and frustrating to receive. However, until the technology is available to identify the true callers, there isn't a whole lot that can be done. You should note that the spammers do not limit their calls to Fido. Changing providers won't likely stop the SPAM.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Fireram
I'm a contributor level 1

Sorry Cawtau, I have to disagree, there IS much that can be done, its just a matter of will it increase profits for the one that decides to do it.

The " technology " is available, I have it with my Ooma phone service. I can block any number i choose, or subscribe to an ever updating list of known spammer numbers,, It works, because I never get spam calls on my Ooma service.

Given, that Ooma is a VOIP service, so it is slightly different to my Fido cell and home phones, which are both radio services. Both my Fido home service and cell service are routed through a Fido server at some point. If it was not, there would be no way of tracking my minutes, data usage, long distance etc for me to billed. Fido knows who I call and who is calling me.

Surely there is a way to have those servers block transmissions from user selected phone numbers before they even ring the users device, be it home or cell phone. Or, only allow calls from numbers selected by user to pass though, and send all others to a pre recorded do not call message.

The fact this thread is still alive years later, indicates to me that the potential loss of spammers as customers of Fido, vs the small increase in existing customers satisfaction just isnt going to make the share holders happy. After all, If im in the business of telemarketing, or spamming, Im going to need to be a subscriber to at least some form of telecom company. If all the telecom companies kicked spammers off their networks, there would be no more telemarketers. But which telecom company will be willing to give up the revenue first? None im afraid, this will need to become a CRTC ruling for them to act on it.

The phone number that I was last spammed with was searched on Yellow pages over 10,000 times in the last 14 days. They have changed the last 4 digits three times in as many months. Yet Telus, the telecom company that is listed as the provider for the spammers number,  has not shut them down. Im sure they pay thier bill on time every month.

Sorry for the long post,, But I found this thread in an effort to block this spammer from calling me. My wife and I are shift workers so ringing phones all day is just not going to work in this house.

FIDO,, you need to put your customers first ! At this point I dont see any benefit to keeping my Fido home phone over my Voip service. If it wont at least offer the same services that my VOIP service dose for less money.

I think Fido has a great product with the home telo device. It has great signal reception in my spotty cell service area, and the service plan is well priced, it works in a power outage for a while, but it needs to be able to block calls. Or better yet, add a page to fido.ca were users can add a blocked call list to all thier devices. We all block emails that are know spam... Come on Fido,, be the first,, we will all thank you by staying loyal.

Hello Fireram,

I understand your frustration. However, you seem to have missed my point. Yes, the technology to block numbers has been available. It's probably even available in your phones. However, the technology is not yet available to identify the true spammers' number. Even the CRTC admits there is currently little that can be done to determine the origins of nuisance calls. As previously mentioned, the spammers often use spoofed numbers. That is, the numbers shown on the caller ID do not belong to the spammers; they belong to potentially innocent people. Often those people don't even know their numbers are being used to make SPAM calls or send SPAM messages. The only way they find out occurs when irate spammees call the numbers or send texts to asking them to stop calling or stop messaging.

It's not about potential loss of spammers as customers or losing revenue. It's about trying to protect innocent customers whose numbers have been spoofed. While the likelihood of spammers spoofing your number might be small -- given the vast pool of numbers to choose from, it's possible. How would you feel if the networks blocked all of your services seemingly for no reason? Even if they didn't block your services per se, blocking your number would mean that you couldn't call or message anyone. All your calls and/or messages would be blocked. That's what would happen if they blocked numbers at the network level.

I understand Ooma will block any number you provide. However, they can do so because those blocks only apply to Ooma customers. The owners of the spoofed numbers are unaffected by the block -- unless they try to call an Ooma customer. They can still make/receive calls to other mobile and landline numbers. They can still make/receive messages to other mobile devices. Mobile providers and landline providers simply cannot block a number without absolute proof that the owner of the number is engaged in nefarious activities. I think you would agree that if they blocked your number simply based on its apparent use to make SPAM calls or send SPAM SMS, your customer satisfaction would plummet.

Why do you think the spammers are actual customers? It's unlikely the spammers use mobile devices to SPAM. Why? Because it's inefficient. Imagine the immense time and effort required to make those 10,000+ calls from a mobile device. They want a big return-to-effort ratio. There would be no return big enough to warrant that amount of effort. What's more likely is that they use computers to make the calls and send SMS using an IP phone service. In fact, it's rather likely the spammers originate from outside of Canada.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. That said, it is hopeful to note that the CRTC is trying to implement measures to reduce nuisance calls (see here and here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

DebraLee

Some phones have a number blocking option as a feature on the phone itself (my Samsung has a Reject List), but the caller may still be able to leave a message. You just won't be disturbed by the ring as it will go straight to voice mail. Not overly helpful, but it's something. Yes, FIDO should start offering the service that TELUS offers, because we also have FIDO home phone and cannot block through FIDO. Our Panasonic phone system offers number blocking but, again, the calls still go through to voice mail.

Changing your number is a waste of time and money because many telemarketers use a computer-dialing process that dials numbers sequentially, so most of the time they do not even know who they are calling (so stop taking it personally when you get these calls).

Also, there are exceptions to the Do Not Call Registry in Canada. Companies are allowed to call you if they have an existing relationship with you, if they are a charity or if they are a religious organization, or if you owe them money. They can also call you if the call originates outside of Canada. You can certainly ask them directly to not call you, but that would mean picking up the phone and speaking to them. I have found that most calls will stop if I simply ask them not to call again.

nesdamycart

It's actually very simple - just google whatever phone you have (mine is a Samsung S4 from Fido) and I found step by step instructions to place a phone number on the 'reject' list.  For Samsung owners, here is the link:  https://www.androidpit.com/block-number-galaxy-s4

brewmaster
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I created a contact named SPAM. I set the ring tone to silent. I add all numbers that I don't want to hear from to the SPAM contact. Works great.

MartinBadia

considering its only fido spamming. how about stop harassing your customers! I received a call today and asked them to stop calling me, the called me 4 times within the next 10 minutes after my request.

After that un-professionial tactics. I have decided after 10 years to change providers. I normally have been content with Fido, but this stunt was pulled on me on the wrong day of the week. now you lost a customer

Hi MartinBadia,

Sorry for the unwanted calls from our marketing department. It may take up to 31 days for this to be entirely effective once we are notified (maximum time delay for all marketing departments to receive this update) We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your understanding.

Click on the thumbs up image description of the photo to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for; it'll help our community grow stronger.

jjfo

Hi, I am just wondering if you still receive calls from the number because I receive calls from this number too. Exactly the number you received. It's bugging me. I started my new phone with Fido early this year & this incident just occur a few days ago. Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

bustifersocks

I'm getting the same number a couple of times a day. And no answer on the other end. Driving me crazy. Any solutions?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@pberry wrote:

You can block it easily.

Go on the App Store and download the Fido My account app, just search for the keyword 'FIDO'

Then download the first one 'Fido My Account'

when you're done downloading and installing it, open the App and go to the 'Services Section' and chose the iphone special pack ( or whatever its called ) and there it should be pretty much common sense you will see block number option and then you know what to do Tongue

You're welcome and have a nice day.

incorrect. That only allows you to access ETM, which does allow you to block texts but not calls. OP was asking about calls.

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Fido does not offer call blocking. I recommend registering your mobile number with the National Do No Call List which can be found at https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/. Once listed, if they call you again you can report them to the Government of Canada. Granted you have no previous ties to the company calling. For example, if you left Bell to sign up with Fido, Bell is exempt from this service because you have a past relationship with them and they are allowed to phone you still. In addition, you might have to change your phone number or just ignore them when you see their caller ID. Indeed, I also wish Fido offered call barring.

Editing to update the solution add relevant details:  See what's new here.

Geek
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Well, maybe Fido should darned well consider adding it!

I have NEVER had so much spam texts and robot calls being on Fido.

I had one in a blue moon on Rogers.

My Wife and my mom are on Bell and they get none.

My friends are on Telus and they get none.

Is there some inside leak or something?

savvy809

I am receiving calls from a 63 915 938 9031 number... they calls every hour on the hour between 12am-6m and then again at noon and 6pm. How can I block this number? it is registered as a philippines number. I don't want to change my number at all