cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I switch easily from Roam to PPU?

MN11
I'm a participant level 2

How do I switch easily from Roam to PPU? I'm spending a few months in the UK, and only want to receive calls very occasionally - so it's a lot cheaper just to pay for the calls I receive, than to pay $15 + tax every time I receive a text! 

Disappointing that Fido is not making this an option on the website btw

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello MN11,

Welcome to the community!

@MN11 wrote:... pay $15 + tax every time I receive a text!...

Firstly to clarify, receiving SMS does not incur any roaming charges. However, any data within a MMS would be considered roaming data. In addition, rich communication services (RCS) messages and iMessages would also be considered roaming data.

If you do not wish to travel using Fido Roam, you would need to contact customer service to opt-out of the service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Once you are confirmed to have the service disabled on your account, your usage abroad would be on a pay-per-use basis. If you choose to travel without Fido Roam, you might consider disabling data and roaming data as those charges can add up quite quickly. You can view the pay-per-use rates here.

What plan do you have? You should note that some plans do not allow for roaming. You would need to verify that your plan is compatible with roaming.

In addition, you might consider verifying whether your phone is compatible with the local networks at your destination.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

MN11

Thanks!