cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know someone I am trying to call is currently out of the country?

Teemushibe
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am trying to call a Canadian number right now but I am not sure if that person is currently out of the country.  If I called that person the regular way what would happen? How would I call them exactly?

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Teemushibe,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, there is no way to identify whether someone might be currently within or outside of Canada. If your intended call recipient has a Canadian phone number, there would be no difference for you to call them. Calling a Canadian phone number is still calling a Canadian phone number regardless of where that phone may be located. You could call the number as you would normally.

Whether or not that person is out of the Country would determine whether the call is considered roaming if they choose to answer the call. Answering the call while abroad could be considered roaming usage and might incur roaming charges. Those charges are applied to the call recipient, not the caller.

If you are hoping to avoid roaming charges for your intended call recipient, you should note that there should be no roaming charges if the recipient does not answer the call. Though, they could incur roaming charges if a voicemail is left, depending on their device and services. They could also incur roaming charges for checking their voicemail.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Teemushibe,

Welcome to the community!

There is no way for you to know, when you make the call it would work just as if the person is here in Canada for you, the only difference would be for the person you are calling because they are out of the country they would incur roaming charges based on their provider and plan details.