cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How FIDO rip off customers, Story # 2

Victor12
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

On June 24, 2019, I signed a two-year agreement with Fido which included the purchase of a new Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

When I signed the agreement, I was told the monthly payment would be $120 for 2 years until I paid off the phone. Once the phone tab was complete, I would only pay for the service.

On June 24, 2021, I paid off the phone.

On August 1, 2021, I received a bill from Fido for $150/month.

On August 10, 2021, I called Fido customer service. A customer service representative told me that according to my contract with Fido I have to pay them $150 per month when I paid off my phone. She said that it doesn't matter what Fido representative told me when I signed the contract, that I should have carefully read the whole agreement including all small print to be sure that everything was in accordance with our conversation. So, at this time I paid $150. I then asked her to cancel this agreement and create another one only for the service. She said that she cancelled this agreement and created a new one to pay $35 per month for the service only.

Afterwards, I read the original contract and didn’t find information that my payment will be increased after I paid off the phone.

On September 1, 2021, I received a new bill from Fido for $150/month again. 

On September 5, 2021, I called to Fido and talk to a customer service representative Ayushi (?). She said that she updated the agreement and I need to pay $40 for the service.

On September 5, 2021, I paid $40 to Fido but on September 9, I received an email from Fido that I owned them $110.

Unbelievable service!!!

How long Fido will charge me $150/month?

Who can I talk to about this issue???

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Victor12,

Sorry to hear you were provided inaccurate information. Did you get your contract from a Fido store or a third-party reseller?

@Victor12 wrote:..Once the phone tab was complete, I would only pay for the service...

It's interesting that you refer to a tab. Fido has never used a tab system with their device offerings. Until recently, Fido had always had subsidised plans. If you went to a third-party reseller, it's possible the salesperson mixed up the details of the different plans from the various providers. I don't think anyone from Fido would refer to tabs.

With the subsidised plan model, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). You should note that Fido has recently switched from their old subsidy model to a financed Payment Program. With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans. Since the costs are separate, you would no longer have a monthly finance charge once you have paid-off the balance of the phone. However, as far as I am aware, the Payment Program didn't arrive until after you started your contract (see here).

While there may have been some overlap between the two programs, it sounds like your plan was subsidised. If your plan is a subsidised plan, your monthly billing would not automatically be reduced once you have paid the balance of the phone. It is not possible to simply remove the subsidy from those older plans so you would need to switch to a new plan -- one without subsidy. However, you should note that the details of the new plans may not be the same as your current plan. If you did not switch plans, you would not automatically get a new cellphone. In order to finance another device, you would also need to switch to a new plan as the old subsidised plans are not compatible with the new financed model.

I understand you have already spoken with customer service and switched plans. If you would like to further discuss your account, you would need to re-contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers