cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Complicated switching of plans & phone numbers

johnksfu
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am considering switching over to a family "Share Everything Plan" and my friend wants to take over my current not-in-market $55 6GB plan. He would like to keep his number though and I would like to keep mine.

What can I do to ensure

1. He gets my $55 BYOP plan.

2. I port over to Rogers, keep my phone number.

3. He ports over his number to my Fido BYOP.

I was wondering if something like this would work

1. An agent performs a TOR of my account to his name.

2. He would receive a temporary number.

3. Rogers puts in a request to transfer my number.

4. He ports over/choose a new number for the Fido plan.

If this does not work is there another way that we could get these results? Please advise.

2 REPLIES 2

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @johnksfu!

We'd be sad to see you go Sad

The switch you mention is unfortunately not possible as @Cawtau mentioned. 

The plan itself would be attached to your number. If we transfer it to your friend, they do have to keep that number. If you port out the number the line is cancelled and the plan is lost.

If your friend would like to sign up with Fido, we have some awesome promos going on! They can contact us so we can check them out Smiley

That said, we can also review your options if you'd like to look at other plans! 

Keep us posted! 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Johnksfu,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, I do not believe what you're hoping to accomplish is possible. The plans are linked to the phone number. You can do a TOR to your friend. However, he will have to take your phone number to keep the plan. The plans are not transferrable. It is not possible to transfer the plan to a temporary number. In addition, once Rogers ports your number out to their services, that would automatically cancel your services for that number (ie the plan).

Even if you tried to change your number such that the new number has your old plan, Rogers won't be able to port out your old number because it won't be available.

I'm pretty sure it is not possible to do what you're intending. There's a reason grandfathered plans are not transferrable.

Not what you're wanting to hear, but I hope this helps Smiley

Cheers