cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google pixel server error when attempting to make calls and dropping calls

webwonky
I'm a participant level 2

This issue started in early August,  About 90% of the time when attempting to make phone calls, it says "Server error - try again later". This usually happens 2-5 times then may look like it's calling but isn't.  Finally it may work but the call is dropped a few minutes in, showing the same server error. Very frustrating. I found a forum on Rogers with the exact same issue, all seem to be various versions of Pixel phones and have tried all the suggested fixes from their support with no luck (https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Android/Google-Pixel-server-error/td-p/445528). It does appear to be on Fido/Rogers side. Please investigate and offer some resolution. Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @webwonky and @ehstevea,

I'm currently using a Pixel 5 with no issues, try doing a network reset then restart the device and test if the problem is still there trying clearing the phone app cache and data then restart the device and test.

If the problem is still not resolved go to your apps and look for an app called carrier service and uninstall the updates restart the device and test make sure that the app does not auto-update.

ehstevea
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

same issue for my pixel 2xl running android 11.. The Rogers forum reporting the same problem is relevant, same infrastructure as Fido. Perhaps the reps from both companies should talk to each other 

FidoVan

Hi there @webwonky and welcome to the Community!

The situation you are describing sounds very technical and we would need to do a very deep troubleshooting to figure out what may be causing this. Have you reached our wireless tech support team over the phone already?

I did a quick Google search and was able to find various similar threads(here, here and here) that points the issue to a feature called ''Advanced Calling'' or VoLTE. If you disable that, do you notice improvements?

Also, if you could provide more information here regarding your device, OS version and any recent changes or info, that would help us a lot.

Keep us posted!

webwonky

Can confirm after several long phone calls that the server error is no longer an issue.  It was definitely the voLTE setting so turning it off plus doing a network reset did fix the issue. Thank you.

Thank you for sharing!

webwonky

Pixel 2, Android 11. Hadn't done any changes myself, issue just started out of the blue in August. Thank you for the additional links - I had done most of the troubleshooting in them already but the first Verizon link suggested resetting the network settings.  Didn't want to lose all my existing wifi setups but finally did and after rebooting tested calling out to several different numbers. No issues! I haven't used my phone for more than about 5 minutes yet so can't confirm that calls are no longer dropping due to the 'server error' but will update here after my next longer call.