cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Upgrade without plan upgrade

Webster11
I'm a participant level 2

Are there any options for free phones without a plan upgrade?  In other words a new phone no $$ and stay with your plan.

5 REPLIES 5

julecris
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I agree with @Webster11 . I've been a Fido customer for 22 years and I find that there are no rewards for loyal customers.  I have a plan that I don't need to change, I just have a S7 Edge that I want to upgrade. But I don't think I should have to finance and pay thousands of dollars on top of my regular bill to get it because you changed your pricing model. Where is the loyalty and rewards for your long time customers? I don't want emails and texts about internet promotions exclusive to me, I want a new phone!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Webster11,

Welcome to the community!

No, there are no options for free phones. Even with phones for $0 upfront, the cost of devices was a part of the subsidised plan costs (ie Large, Medium, etc plans). You should note that Fido has now switched from their subidised plans to a financed payment program for new devices. That is, the cost of devices is now separate from the cost of services. With the new financed model, the $0 upfront cost phones would require a monthly cost of some sort (in addition to monthly plan costs).

Some of the old subsidised plans are not compatible with the new financed model. You might need to switch to a new plan in order to finance a new phone. On the other hand, you would be able to keep your current plan if you purchased your new phone outright.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Webster11

Well it answers my question but it doesn't help.  This move represents a considerable increase in cost by Fido or in other words a good deal of new money in their pocket.  But alas: that seems to be the way of things, spin a price increase as a benefit to the consumer.  Oh for the day when we have some true competition here in Canada.

Hey @Webster11

I'm sorry you feel this way. Sad

With the Fido Payment Program, you can get devices for as low as $0 down and 0% interest and pay them off through 24 equal monthly payments. 

This will provide you with more transparency and simplicity when it comes to your Fido services. Indeed, once the phone is paid off, you’ll only pay for the base cost of the plan. This will be done automatically, which means time saved for you and peace of mind!

You can also change your plan during the 24 month term, instead of being restricted to one plan category. 

Depending on your current plan, it’s possible that you’ll need to make some changes to it to be able to benefit from this new program, but to ensure that you still get the most out of your services, I do want to note that your new plan would allow you to keep the great features you’re used to getting : 5 extra hours of data, Fido RoamData Overage Protection and Fido XTRA. Very_Happy

Webster11

I'm sorry you feel this way.

With the Fido Payment Program, you can get devices for as low as $0 down and 0% interest and pay them off through 24 equal monthly payments. 

This will provide you with more transparency and simplicity when it comes to your Fido services. Indeed, once the phone is paid off, you’ll only pay for the base cost of

I am afraid you are only proviing my point with the statements above when I suggested this is simply a price increase being spun as something new and wonderful for the customer.

I will summarize my current situation.  I have a very economical plan which meets my needs with a phone which was supplied to me at no cost if I used the Fido service for such and such a time. 

Which I have.  The option to have a new phone supplied to me is now gone as we both know. Now if I were to need a new phone I have to purchase it.  Therefore this becomes a price increase to me and more money in Fido's bank account.  Don't be sorry for the way I feel.  I really don't know how else one could take the change Fido has implemented.

But thank you for your reply although we certainly don't see things the same way.