cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido roaming is on.

sehui
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

When I came to Japan a few days ago, I received a text message about roaming.
It said 75c/text and 15/day for data and so on.

Yesterday, I received another text"You've got Fido Roam so go ahead ... The rate is $15/day + tax..."

I don't know why this happens. I already turned off data related stuff. Anyway I will receive a verification sms once a day or once a week. So I guess it will charge $15 every day. 

I think pay-per-use is more reasonable if Fido turns on $15 fido roaming when I receive sms.

Can anyone help me to turn off Fido roaming?

6 REPLIES 6

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

best to do . step 1. once on the airplane in Vancouver ( pull out sim out of phone (place sim card in safe place)). step 2 . once landed in Japan (or Asia), goto arrival convenient stores get local sim. step 3 . get local sim activated in phone.  step 4. call forward fido number to Japan number  . 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Sehui,

Firstly, Fido Roam charges will only incur if your phone uses services -- make or receive a call, send a text message or use data abroad. It should be mentioned that while receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, any data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS.

Those Welcome messages are a notification that your device had connected to a foreign network. Receiving that text message does not necessarily mean that your device had used services. That said, it's strange you received both of those Welcome messages. Generally, people only receive one Welcome message when their device first connects to the foreign network. Subsequent connections does not usually generate the message. In addition, the message is usually for Fido Roam ($15 per day). It's possible your device first connected to a network not associated with Fido Roam thereby generating the pay-per-use Welcome message. However, that is only speculation.

Fido Roam is already enabled on all eligible plans. If you wished to opt-out of the feature,  you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. If you opt-out of the service, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. Those rates can be found here.

As mentioned, merely receiving the Welcome messages does not necessarily mean you've incurred roaming charges. I was able to confirm that to be true here. However, if other services were used when your device connected to the foreign network, that usage would likely have triggered roaming charges.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hi @Hanket @sehui , best way to turn off fido roaming or over use charges is to remove your Sim card entirely. Airplane mode alone is not enough sometimes, especially if leaving wifi on and your Wi-Fi calling is switched on. Best option is to remove your Sim card and keep it somewhere safe. Just my 2 cents worth

Hanket
I'm a participant level 2

Go to Settings, then down to Celluar to turn Roaming Off for voice and data. If you have a physical SIM card, pull it. You can use local WIFI for so much of what you need while away.

Annicanada

The option is to keep mobile phone in aeroplane mode and use wifi. In this case, OTP message will not be receive. I am also facing same challange while in India.

Hello Hanket and Annicanada,

Welcome to the community!

Yes, it is generally recommended to enable Airplane and/or Flight modes to prevent unintended roaming usage. You could then manually enable Wifi when required.

It should be noted that while using Wifi for regular internet access will not incur Fido Roam charges, there seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above). 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers