cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido refusing to upgrade my phone on current plan

Yogato
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Fido is refusing to let me keep my existing CAD 57/- per month plan and upgrade to a new phone. They insist I need to pay at least CAD 75/- to get a 2 year tab and upgrade my phone. They say that my plan is now a bring your own phone plan - how can they change this and not honour the plan that I had signed up for which was clearly a plan which had a 2 year tab. 

This amounts to strong arm tactics. 

Has anyone had such experiences and have you escalated to a government body to help? 

2 REPLIES 2

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Yogato

To be able to go over your upgrade options we would need to access your account and review the details. You can reach us through one of the different contact channels found here

We can also send you a PM from here on the Community. Let us know what works best for you! Smiley 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Yogato,

Welcome to the community!

I understand the frustration. However, that fact of the matter is that some of the older plans do not have enough subsidy to cover the cost of today's phones.

The cost of phones has gone up as has the cost of services. How much would your plan cost today as a BYOP? I'm guessing it would be quite a bit more than what you're paying now -- and that's without adding any subsidy...

Your current plan with 2 year tab was a contract for two years. If your two years have finished (or you end your contract early), they honoured the contract you signed up for. You can now continue with your old plan (without subsidy) on a monthly basis or sign a new contract with different terms.

I understand many loyal customers feel shafted, however, there is only so much leeway that can be afforded in the name of loyalty. Companies might be willing to reduce their profits for their loyal customers (ie grandfathered plans), however taking a loss would not make any business sense. The argument is often that Fido will lose a loyal customer. Losing future revenue from a loyal customer is not the same as taking a loss.

I'm not saying that Fido would rather see you leave. You just can't expect a company to lose money just so you'll stay. You can keep your current plan, however, you would have to purchase your new phone upfront. If you cannot afford to purchase the phone outright, then you'll have to change your plan to one that does have enough subsidy to cover the cost of the device. If you decide to look elsewhere, do your research. Some offers might seem better, but do their services actually suit your needs?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers