Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido in Iqaluit, Nunavut

husk123
I'm a participant level 2

I am moving to Iqaluit in a few months.

I see Fido has extended coverage in Iqaluit per the coverage map (although a CSR told me they do not). I imagine this is via Ice Wireless, which I understand to be an MVNO of Rogers.

Whatever the case, I like my plan and would prefer to stay on with Fido. Will I encounter any issues should I move and make no changes to my account?

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Husk123,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly to clarify, Ice wireless is a Mobile Wireless Operator (MWO) and is not a MVNO of Rogers. They own and operate their own communication towers, facilities and radio access network equipment in all three Canadian territories (see here). They are, however, roaming partners with Rogers and Fido.

You are correct in that Fido does have extended coverage in the area (see here). **edit** Extended coverage or Fido-EXT would be available via Ice wireless and/or Bell.

Iqaluit.jpg

Taken from here.**

Unfortunately however, if you are moving to the area, you will unlikely be able to stay with Fido. There are limits to the amount of extended coverage use allowed. It’s intended to be used occasionally and the majority of your monthly usage (talk, text and data) must occur on the Fido network. If the majority of your monthly usage occurs within extended coverage areas, access to extended coverage may be restricted or limited on an ongoing basis (see link above).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

husk123

Thanks Cawtau.

Do you know if Fido has an option to put my account on hold for a year? I'd rather do that and see how things go rather than cancel my plan (its a good, grandfathered plan I wanted to keep).

Otherwise, I might just take the risk and see what happens, and if I'm flagged I'll cancel.

Hello again,

Fido does offer an option for a temporary suspension. However, it may not suit what you're looking for. When you return, you would not be able to continue with your grandfathered plan...

If you don't have an agreement right now (i.e. are on a month-to-month basis), you may be eligible for our $7/month temporary suspension. To get this suspension, which you can have for up to 1 year, we would change your plan to a special $15 BYOP plan, and you'd get an $8 discount for a maximum period of 12 months. Upon your return, you would need to select a currently in-market plan (taken from here).

As FidoMaria noted, such offers are subject to change at any time. You might consider contacting Fido customer service to see if the temporary suspension has changed to better suits your needs. Alternatively, you might send a PM to a moderator.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

I was told that has changed and the temporary suspension can be applied for a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of 12 month without having to change the plan.

Hey everyone! Thought I'd jump in to clarify things with the current suspension offer Smiley

We can suspend your service for 2-12 months at $7 per month if you are off agreement. With the current suspension offer, your plan remains unchanged and once the suspension offer is removed the plan goes back to the one you had!

Pretty neat, right? Wink

Hello @husk123,

Fido does offer a 12 months suspension but if you currently have a contract you are not eligible for a temporary suspension.