cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido bill

Andr88
I'm a participant level 3

Hi ! I got my bill with 226 $ to pay ! I called  Fido centre and representative told me that I used all my data internet and went over .And now I have to pay.But didn’t get message with warning that I used 90% of data which I usually got all the time before!!!! That’s why I went over limit because I didn’t get message! She said fido not always send that message....but I always got it before and that  was my reminder!!! 

14 REPLIES 14

FidoKija
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey Andr88! Thanks for joining the community and welcome! 

Data overage is never fun. You've come at the right place to ask any questions about this. Smiley 

We send indeed courtesy text messages in case the data is closing in to your data bucket limit. Although, we recommend strongly to track your data on Fido.ca or the application as many factors might affect the reception of the notifications which is why we consider them as courtesy text messages. The data top-ups can also be added at any time during your billing cycle if the data hasn't gone over the limit. 

Was it the first time that the limit went over? If you need that much data in the future, perhaps changing for a price plan with more data might save you money! If you take a look at your account online on Fido.ca, you should be able to see all the price plans available to you while performing a price plan change. You could as well prevent any more overage charges this way. 

Keep in mind that the community is here to help also if you need any assistance with that or if you have any other questions. Smiley

Andr88

Good morning! Thanks for your response. On my screenshot you can clearly see : we’ll notify you by text message if you use 90% of your available data! I didn’t get that message and that’s why I went over limit! Why I have to pay so big amount of money???

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

@Andr88, could you please be more specific about the details of your data overage/bill? It is difficult for us to comment as to why your bill is $226... how much is your monthly plan? What's included... how much did you go over your data plan by? Etc.

Moreover, even if you did not receive a reminder text message from Fido, you would have had to consent once you reached $50.00 in data overage charges in one billing cycle. To receive a bill of $226, that would imply your monthly plan fee is $150 each month normally, assuming your balance forward is zero ($0.00).

[ $150 monthly plan fee + $50 in data overage ] x 1.13 for HST = $226.00

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @nick67!

Just wanted to clarify something as it was not addressed Smiley

The data usage is blocked once $50 of overages are hit. Once consent is given to continue using data you do get billed over $50 according to the overage rate of your plan. If for example, you used 3GB of additional at $7/100MB  you'd be billed $210 in overages.

Hope that clears it up!

Hey Andr88!

As my colleague Kija explained, we do send courtesy text messages in case the data is closing in to your data bucket limit. That being said we recommend strongly to track your data on Fido.ca or the application as many factors might affect the reception of the notifications which is why we consider them as courtesy text messages.  In other terms, they are not guarantied!

Once you're over your data, you will be notified once you reach $50 in overage. The data access is then suspended. You need to accept the charges in order to reactivate the data on your line, thus accepting to continue being charged for the usage. 

If you wish to review your options with us, feel free to contact us  Smiley

We can also send you a Pm here if you wish! Just let us know.

Andr88

2C5AE7D4-2D47-44D9-BEF1-3F7AC6339DF7.png

Andr88

You can see on web site:We will notify you by text message if you use 90% of your available data!

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

I thought data overage is capped at $50 per billing cycle now? So, if my monthly plan is $55 per month and I go over my data plan by say 100 GB, my maximum bill should be 55+50=105+tax, correct?

See the following text I received from Fido:

Fido Data Overage Cap.PNG

@nick67, They are allowed to let you go over by $50 worth of data overage before they cut it off. Its not pay $50 and use what you want.

Currently Fido charges $7 per 100mb of data overage but it could be different if you have an older plan. You will need to check your plan details to see the overage rates of your plan.

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Sorry, I misworded my original post. What I meant was once I hit $50 in overage, my data usage will be halted until I consent to continue, correct? Fido will stop data usage once you hit $50 in overage? For example, I couldn’t use 100GB of data in one billing cycle without consenting first?

@nick67, correct once you hit $50 in overages it will stop unless you give consent to continue.

@nick67, I actually just followed the link from the text you received and removed my line as an authorise user to restore the data access and I go that exact message. 

Did you or someone remove that line as from an authorise user who can restore the data access?

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

@KAPABLE-K, I actually randomly got that text from Fido. I am the account holder and have only 1 Fido line. I suspect the text was sent in response to the recent CRTC requirement regarding data overages because I remember there was blurb about Fido needing more time about data overage notifications in my recent monthly Fido statement. More importantly, I would love for Fido to implement data usage to be halted once you hit your plan limit. Then, if I wish to proceed with data overage, provide consent to Fido. Fido's competitor, Koodo, offers what they call "Shock-Free Data" allowing its customers to pause their data once their plan limit is reached.

@nick67 I agree, I would also like to have my data stopped when I hit my allotted monthly data limit. It can be done but sadly the big guys would not do this.