Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam Price Increase?

hudson29
I'm a participant level 1

Wow

Fido started off well with Fido Roam, USA $5 a day for 10 days, the only draw back was if you spilled into another cycle, now its $7 a day for 15 days, same old if you go into another cycle extra to pay

Just came back from the USA and quite a hefty bill for 3 weeks split over the billing cycle, will have to look at purchasing a throw away phone from Best Buy next time!!!

Then there is Europe now started at $10 a day for 10 days same re billing cycle, now its $12 a day for 15 days same if over billing cycle, as was the case for me, it will certainly be cheaper to but a 10 pound sim card with Data/calls and texts with O2

Fido you certainly know how to scam the customer, the first charges were palatable USA $5 and Europe $10 for 10 days but as I have just said

USA 21 days $167 to use my own plan of Data/calls and text

and 

Netherlands/UK 16 days $218 to use again my own Data/calls and text

Shame on you

12 REPLIES 12

botex
I'm a contributor level 1

I can't see how Fido new 'Fido Roam has proven to be to offer great value...."

It is suitable only for people who travel maybe 3-5 days in one month period.

For everybody else, it's a rip off!

If you stay for example 7 days in the USA you will pay $49, and that's already over the value of monthly travel pack (discontinued).

This summer I end up with 3 x $200+ bills.

The only thing I found suitable is to use Fido wi-fi and managed to decrease my roaming costs last month.

Looks like all Canadian providers are acting like a cartel, as they clearly have an agreement to keep the price at the same level.

But that's going to change soon or later, and there will be time to come when loyal customers will say bye bye to Fido! 

I'm 7 years Fido customer, and I'm taking this very personal!

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @botex,

Thanks for your feedback Smiley

To clarify, the major difference between Fido Roam and other options is that the former bills you based on the number of days used while the latter bills you based on your total usage. Even Travel Packs included a limited amount of usage when they were offered, and after exceeding those buckets you'd fall on a pay per use rate.

Currently you do have the option to use Fido Roam or to opt-out of Fido Roam and keep your usage based on the pay per use rates seen here. You'd have the possibility to opt in again if you wish to by simply texting "ROAM" to 222.

Hope this clarifies.

botex

Fido Roam is not a good option for private users. Average traveller used roaming per day just for a few messages, couple of minutes of phone call or a little data for Google maps. To be charged &7 per day (US) it’s too much, especially after 7+days. Per pet use is out of the question, as you can’t control your costs and it’s really rip off. Some kind of travel package must be reactivated.

However, Fido Roam is excellent o  for business people as they use phone a lot on a daily basis.

Fido needs to offer a few versions of Fido Roam, for different type of users.

i also understand that moderators need to do their job, but please stop reply with generic answers.

We want to know what Fido will do in the future to recover trust of loyal customers and fix this!

botex

Any update on this subject?

Looks like Fido is falling behind the competition!

Some other providers offer for +$20 per month unlimited (as per your plan) US/Canada plan with no roaming charges.

If Fido don't come up with a similar proposal, many people will leave Fido (including me)

Any thoughts? 

Hello @botex

We definitely hope that you decide to keep your services with us. Unfortunately, I didn't get any news concerning this on my end.

I do invite you to keep an eye on Fido.ca for upcoming offers and devices.

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @botex, thank you for the feedback!

I understand that you're concerned with our current options when roaming outside of Canada. At this time, we do not offer any travel packages. While we cannot promise any changes on our offers, I will pass along your comment to the marketing team Smiley 

We truly value your business Botex, and we do want to offer a service that meets our customer's needs. We're confident that Fido ROAM offers much more value than the old travel packs, I do get that for you it might not be the case.

If there is anything else we can help you with, let us know!

Deb4

Fido roam charges are obscene. We spend alot of time in the States and need to find another way. My son had a T-mobile account in the US last year costing $45 (USD) monthly that worked North America wide, accessing his 4GB data and unlimited calling/texting anywhere on the continent. Fido's current $7/$12 for 15 days/month + regular plan charges is gouging and can't be justified no matter what they say.  Last month we paid $304 for both of our lines and weren't even in the US for the full 15 days of possible charges.I called Fido today asking for another option and was not even told about the option to opt out and pay as you go. It was recommended to me to use a US sim card when in the States. Seriously?? You're own people are recommending this?

Hey @Deb4

Welcome to the community. Smiley

I understand where you're coming from and we value your feedback. While Fido Roam may not be the best option for all of our customers, it does provide some advantages, such as the convenience of your usual plan while abroad and saving a few bucks on the days you don't wish to use your plan. If you plan on using your phone while travelling as much as you do in Canada, Fido Roam is definitely a good option and, in terms of value, also more economical than the travel packs we used to have.

If you just want to send an SMS here and there, then pay-per-use is probably your best option. You would need to contact us so that we can unenroll you from Fido Roam.

Lastly, I understand how odd this may seem to our customers to be offered to use a foreign sim while abroad but we understand that everyone's needs are different and in some cases, this may be the very best option and we only want what's best for our customers. Hope this clarifies!

MickManda

Yes, I agree!!  I just was in Germany, and apparently the price increase happened while I was there, except there was NEVER anything communicated to existing customers about the change!  My bill was ridiculous!  NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!  Imagine thinking you only have to have 10 days, not 15.... I was in Germany for 3 months!  I was a little more than cranky when I got my bill!  RIP OFF!!!  I was FURIOUS!!!!  Never again!  Not impressed with this company anymore.  Used to be when I first got my phone, but now it is too expensive to have a cell phone now, or do anything with it.  Half the time my phone doesnt even work!  Had so many issues with Fido and service.  

Hey@MickManda

I understand how this can be a surprise. 

I assure you though that  we sent a notification SMS to all customers who were in an eligible international destination at the time of the change on January 31, 2018.   We also updated our welcome SMS on January 31, 2018 to reflect the new price for customers that arrive in an eligible international destination. 

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

it is always cheaper to get an non Fido sim

i.e. when I goto Hong Kong, I go get an HK sim card, install in my unlocked phone, check my Fido voicemail (with google voice dailer via wifi), using Fido sim in Hong Kong is not cheap.

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @hudson29

Welcome to the Community! 

I am sorry to see you feel this way about this service hudson29. FidoROAM has proven to offer great value for most of our customers when traveling. In the event you would prefer to unenroll from FidoROAM you can do so and be charged the pay-per-use rates instead. You can check these out here

To unenroll from FidoROAM you can reach out to our customer support team through one of our points of contact here

Or let us know if you'd like us to send you a PM from here to take a closer look into this with you.