Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam Destination Questions

AKS
I'm a participant level 2

Hi

Just a few questions about Fido Roam

I am going on a trip to Italy, the UK, and possibly Switzerland.

I have unlimited calling in Canada.

1) When in Italy, I understand it’s no extra charge to call within Italy and back to Canada. Is that correct?

2) When in Italy, am I in a “Europe” zone? Meaning if I make calls to the UK or Switzerland, are they included? Or extra?

3) The billing says $10 per day up to 10 days in your billing cycle.

If my trip lasts 15 days, and those days straddle the end of my billing cycle, will that start the fees again? (example, the first 5 days in Europe… then new billing cycle…then 10 more days in Europe…. Would I be charged $150?)

Thanks for your attention
Andrew

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello AKS,

Welcome to the community!

@AKS wrote:

1) When in Italy, I understand it’s no extra charge to call within Italy and back to Canada. Is that correct?. ..

Correct. Calls within the country you're visiting are considered local.

@AKS wrote:

2) When in Italy, am I in a “Europe” zone? Meaning if I make calls to the UK or Switzerland, are they included? Or extra?

The zones are only to designate the cost of calls (if pay-per-use or additional minutes or long-distance). The same rule above applies. Calls local to your destination are included with Fido Roam. When you're in Italy, calls to the UK or Switzerland would also be considered long-distance and charged as such.

@AKS wrote:

3) The billing says $10 per day up to 10 days in your billing cycle.

If my trip lasts 15 days, and those days straddle the end of my billing cycle, will that start the fees again? (example, the first 5 days in Europe… then new billing cycle…then 10 more days in Europe…. Would I be charged $150?)

Unfortunately, I believe that would be correct if your trip overlaps two billing cycles.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

AKS

Thank you Cawtau for clearing that up.
Just as a follow up....
1) Based on the above scenario of Italy, UK and Switzerland, are there any fees connected to data use?
Would data in any of those locations be an extra fee (assuming i stay within my monthly allowance).

2) Messaging. My plan includes "Unlimited Text, Picture and Video Messages from Canada to U.S. & Intl Mobile Numbers".
So from the European destinations, would there be any messaging fees from say, Milan to Rome? Milan to London?

I just want to make sure i completely understand my potential charges when travelling.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Hello again,

@AKS wrote:

1) Based on the above scenario of Italy, UK and Switzerland, are there any fees connected to data use?
Would data in any of those locations be an extra fee (assuming i stay within my monthly allowance).

There would be no additional fees associated with data use with Fido Roam. Data usage would go against your existing Pulse plan data allotments. If you go over the data included in your plan, you'll be charged the domestic overage rate applicable to your Fido Pulse plan as well as the daily Fido Roam charge. You can refer here, for additional information.

You should note that while the data within MMS does not count against any data allotments while in Canada, it is considered roaming data (outside of Canada) and will trigger the Fido Roam daily fee.

@AKS wrote:

2) Messaging. My plan includes "Unlimited Text, Picture and Video Messages from Canada to U.S. & Intl Mobile Numbers".
So from the European destinations, would there be any messaging fees from say, Milan to Rome? Milan to London?...

As with calls, messages sent back to Canada are included with Fido Roam. Messages to all other destinations will be charged as if you’re making them from Canada. That said, since your plan includes international messages, they would also be included with Fido Roam. So messages from Milan to Rome as well as Milan to London would be included.

You might also verify whether your phone/device is compatible with the local networks as most European providers use different bands/frequencies from North America. You can see the bands/frequencies used by the different countries by selecting from the drop-down menu here (bottom of page). You can also verify the countries bands/frequencies here.

You might also consider trying to get an idea of the local mobile networks' coverage at your destination. Mobile phones roam on the existing infrastructure at the destination. Fido's service cannot extend beyond what is available locally. It's the customers' responsibility to check whether their phones would work at their destination. Open Signal can give you an idea of the coverage at your destinations.

Have a great trip!

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers