LexusBC
I'm a participant level 3

Does Fido have any 5G service?

9 REPLIES 9

chillininmtl
I'm a participant level 2

still not in Feb 2022. a workaround I found for people locked in on a 2 yr plan with Fido and want 5G. some Samsung phones just got an update that allows dual SIM (a regular sim and an esim (electronic)). A lot of iphones from the 12 also have this. I got a Bell 5G data plan with a second sim card and put it in the phone then set up my Fido sim as an esim (you have to pay $10 for this). You set the Bell SIM as primary sim to use that glorious 5g network and then Fido as the secondary sim for all texts/calls. This is the only way I'm aware of if you're locked in with Fido to get 5g on your phone during the duration of your contract. I honestly don't feel like 5g will ever come to Fido sadly Sad

sgoutam
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Probably won't ever arrive for Fido, the fact that Fido is the cheaper counterpart of Rogers means if you want 5G you need to pay more and move over to Rogers.

mharkiss

You would think that since Fido is a MVNO running on the Rogers network and is a subsidiary of Rogers itself, that as Rogers makes changes to their network that Fido customers would just get it too. But I guess that's too simple and we can't have simplicity in this world. 

Bubzilla36

Yeah it really makes no sense for Fido (and its other flanker brand counterparts) to get shut out from having 5G services permanently, so just wait I guess.  I mean is there really much difference on a regular user level?.   

I don't remember how long it took Fido to get LTE but I think it was almost immediately when Rogers did

Hey @mharkiss & @Bubzilla36 Smiley

Even though, at this time, we don't offer access to a 5G network, 5G devices are compatible with Fido’s existing LTE network.

We're also continuing to invest in our current network to enhance speed and coverage to deliver a stronger connection!

You can find more info here.

clten

Does that mean there is no benefit to buy a 5G phone with higher price from Fido even they are for sale in the store or on the web?

Hello Clten,

It would depend on what you consider beneficial. Generally, phones with 5G tend to be newer and often more powerful than non-5G devices. Newer, faster chipsets etc might be considered a benefit by some.

That said, since Fido does not currently offer 5G services, a 5G device would only be able to access '3G' and LTE services with Fido (or the other 1st tier flanker brands).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @LexusBC,

Currently, Fido does no offer 5G services.

If/when they do it will be announced on fido.ca

LexusBC

Thanks!