FIDO EXT

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

FIDO EXT

Are Sarnia, Chatham, Plympton-Wyoming in regular FIDO coverage or is it EXT? It's difficult to make out in the coverage maps as the colour difference is negligible between Fido Network and Extended Coverage.
Accepted Solution

Re: FIDO EXT

Hello Seafarer,

While there are certain areas designated as extended coverage in the coverage map (no Fido/Rogers cellular towers; ie parts of Saskatchewan), a device might connect to Fido-EXT simply by being outside of Fido/Rogers coverage, but within another provider's coverage -- even within areas designated as Fido/Rogers coverage on the map. These spots of Fido-EXT occur because the cellular towers of the different providers are not located together. Each provider have their cellular towers strategically placed. That is why I prefer to use cellular tower maps rather than the coverage maps.

Sarnia.jpg

~ taken from here.

There may be locations where a phone might not get reception from Fido/Rogers, but get better reception from the other networks. For example, the area around Petrolia and Dresden has more sparse cellular towers. It's possible a phone may occasionally connect to Fido-EXT between the towns.

**edit** Note to Fido: You might consider changing the colours on the coverage map. The pale blue and paler blue are rather difficult to discern from lakes and each other.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP
Solution

Hello Seafarer,

While there are certain areas designated as extended coverage in the coverage map (no Fido/Rogers cellular towers; ie parts of Saskatchewan), a device might connect to Fido-EXT simply by being outside of Fido/Rogers coverage, but within another provider's coverage -- even within areas designated as Fido/Rogers coverage on the map. These spots of Fido-EXT occur because the cellular towers of the different providers are not located together. Each provider have their cellular towers strategically placed. That is why I prefer to use cellular tower maps rather than the coverage maps.

Sarnia.jpg

~ taken from here.

There may be locations where a phone might not get reception from Fido/Rogers, but get better reception from the other networks. For example, the area around Petrolia and Dresden has more sparse cellular towers. It's possible a phone may occasionally connect to Fido-EXT between the towns.

**edit** Note to Fido: You might consider changing the colours on the coverage map. The pale blue and paler blue are rather difficult to discern from lakes and each other.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted

Thanks, this is certainly a better map of the cell towers! The reason for my asking was because I drove around Sarnia and areas close by and one of our phones(both with Fido) kept jumping to EXT. I guess it would have no impact due to our cellphone numbers, its just the coverage. I don't want to change my cellphone numbers when I move there so just wanted to be sure there was adequate coverage.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3