cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely poor Network Coverage

feDDUP
I'm a participant level 3

I've been a customer of Fido since the beginning and used my phone for work, basically, all over the province, across Canada and down the U.S.   The coverage back then was good!  But, over the last year or so, I've had more issues with network coverage just in the greater Vancouver area!!  WTF???  Suddenly, I will drop calls, just driving thru downtown or Burnaby or Richmond or anywhere!  I know its not my phone as my iPhone isn't that old and is up to date where IOS is concerned.  

I've heard other complaints from customers by just talking to people around where I live and they all complain of the same poor network coverage.  Either no Wifi or LTE and no bars for signal strength...I'm tired of this and may switch providers.  I've heard Virgin has better, more consisent network coverage.  

Anyone else having the same problems?  The north shore is worst too.  And Bowen Island is beyond ridiculous for no service at the best of times!!!

8 REPLIES 8

DB36
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I bought a new iphone thinking it was my iphone.  But, it's very frustrating.  I'm on the phone and loose the connection for a few seconds... often.  My husband is on Roger and doesn't experience this.  This happens in Toronto and in Keswick Ontario.  Very frustrating.

Hello @DB36,

Welcome to the community!

You can try contacting customer service and ask them to do a reset to switch often times that helps if not you can try getting a new SIM card.

NubianXX
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Your Aboustly Correct its not just you going through this problem. i have been with  fido for 5 years and all of sudden my phone is not working properly as it used to. They CHARGE HIGH PRICES AND GIVE US **bleep** services. After im done paying my reming amount i will be changing phone service because this is honestly disgusting.  Fido HAS BECOME GREEDY AND MONSTERS to their customers. cancel your plans Go to telus or Virgini mobile they are waaaaay better

FidoAlex

Hey @feDDUP, Alex here.

We're really sorry to see that you've been having connectivity issues over the last year. Like @Cawtau explained, there can be a lot factors that can cause these issues but, we certainly wouldn't want to see you go to another provider as we may be able to fix this for you. Please make sure to get in touch with us through any of the channels here and we'll be happy to help. 

feDDUP

Thanks, but all those topics still do not help improve any signal strength.  And even with two bars on LTE, I should still have connectivity for texting etc.  And I don't.  I've checked everything with my iPhone and it is up to date with operating the system etc.  so that is not the issue.  It does boil down to poor coverage here.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello feDDUP,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having coverage issues in those areas. While their coverage maps might show full coverage, those maps are only approximate. There are many factors which can influence signal reception and therefore coverage.

I understand you have been with Fido since the beginning and found coverage to be quite good. However, at that time, coverage would have been with GSM and UMTS (WCDMA). In recent years, those networks have been reduced. If your device is not set-up for voice-over-LTE (voLTE) (see here), calls and messages would need to fall-back to those networks. That could account for some of the issues you note.

That said, there are relatively fewer Fido/Rogers cellular towers in the areas you note. For example, these are the locations of their cellular towers in the North Shore:

North Shore.jpg

~taken from here.

Telus would be incumbent provider in the area. As such, they have more cellular towers in the areas. Since Bell and Telus share access to their cellular towers, that could account for why you heard good things about Virgin Mobile''s coverage.

With the roaming agreements, though, Fido customers are allowed to connect to those cellular towers as Fido-EXT (extended coverage). However, extended coverage usage is only meant on a temporary basis. The majority of your usage would need to be on the Fido/Rogers networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

feDDUP

Again, when my iPhone shows Fido-EXT, it does not connect.  So, those solutions don't work on Bowen Island.  As I've stated, I'm one of many here, that have little or no coverage on the Fido network as far as LTE is concerned.  These days, it is more for using the internet etc but trying to make a call even with wifi calling, which requires a wifi signal, isn't going to happen.  I would like to have my cell phone working for emergencies etc here, but apparently that isn't going happen.  Which is a huge problem.  I need a solution.  

feDDUP

It really doesn't help.  It just confirms that Rogers/Fido does not provide enough for an area that needs it.  And that is beyond disappointing in this day and age.  I will still be looking for another provider as long as I'm residing here as having cellular communication is a necessity.