Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Coverage on a Data Only Plan

JohnBJr
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Hey,

I have a quick question. I just got a new tablet with Fido awesome promotion. I am wondering if I would have access to the extended coverage zone with this plan? I pay $15 for 2GB per month.

Thanks again for taking the time to read and provide any info.

Cheers

John

3 REPLIES 3

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@JohnBJrThat's a very good question.

I believe the extended network is only available to most post paid wireless customers. 

Hey @JohnBJr!

That's a very good question indeed, and @KAPABLE-K is correct!

Extended coverage is available on almost all of our postpaid wireless plans (certain older zone-based plans do not qualify). Since your data-only plan is a rather new wireless plan, you're eligible for extended coverage!

That said, if you're using your data-only plan on a tablet, certain tablets will not receive the welcome SMS for extended coverage unless data roaming is turned on, and some tablets are not capable of receiving texts at all.

You can learn more about our extended coverage right here.

Hope this helps!

Hello JohnBJr,

@FidoNick wrote:

That said, if you're using your data-only plan on a tablet, certain tablets will not receive the welcome SMS for extended coverage unless data roaming is turned on, and some tablets are not capable of receiving texts at all...

You will have to enable roaming data in order use data on extended coverage (you're actually roaming on the other networks). If you do not receive any welcome SMS, you will still know you're connected to extended coverage because you'll be connected to Fido-EXT.

Again, you should note that use of extended coverage is only meant on a temporary basis. If you regularly exceed 50% usage on their networks, the service may be blocked.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers