cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ext Coverage charges from my home

cweat283-Me
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I was sent a message from fido that I have used  most of my ext coverage but I've been using my phone from the

same place I've lived 12 yrs. I was told to contact them to resolve or lose service in 7 days . I did the askjack 

that was of no help and I can't seem to get ahold of a represetative  looking for suggestions .

I do know bell bought tower space in the area and I'm wondering if it is to do with that?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Cweat283-Me,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly to clarify, there are no extra charges for using extended coverage (Fido-EXT). With the roaming agreements, customers are allowed to use services on the other Canadian cellular towers without additional charges. There are, however, some limitations to using extended coverage. For example, extended coverage usage is only meant to be used on a temporary basis. the majority of your usage needs to be on your home network.

If there is a new closer Bell tower, it's possible your phone has been connecting to that tower rather than a Fido/Rogers one. You can view your area cellular towers here. If that is the case, the majority of your usage might have been using extended coverage. Most phones would attemt to connect to the best signal. That signal might be from the closer cellular tower. You might consider manually selecting your phone's network to be Fido.

Alternatively, if you have access to Wifi and your device is supported for Wifi-calling, the use of that service would alleviate the preferred connection to the closer tower. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers