cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error changing phone number

melanieleveille
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am trying to change my phone number to an Ontario number, but I keep getting an error message. I don't want to call and pay the fee to change my number on the phone. I have tried different browsers and clearing my cache already. 

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Melanieleveille,

Welcome to the community!

As mentioned by Original_Lucy, I think the likely reason is that the system won't allow you to do the change online because it sounds like you have a plan from a different Province. There are often Provincial-specific plans or pricing. Your plan current plan may not be available in Ontario. You would be able to keep your old plan and phone numer, though you should note that people from Ontario calling your phone number might incur long-distance charges. You would also need to verify your plan included Canada-wide minutes to prevent incurring LD charges yourself. In addition, many building buzz-code systems can only dial local phone numbers.

Are you on contract? Whether or not a change would affect your contract would depend on your plan type. If your plan is subsidised, you would need to get a plan within the same subsidy level. However, now that Fido has recently switched from their old subsidy model to a financed Payment Program, I'm not sure whether any of those options would be available anymore. If you did need to switch from subsidised plan to a new plan, you might be required to pay the balance of your device.

If you would still like to change your phone number, you would need to contact customer service. If you are changing to a phone number in a different Province, there would not be any fee for the change since your move involves a change in local calling area (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hi Melanieleveille, are you able to get through most of the number change process?  Is your phone on a contract still in your original province? Also is the address on your credit card an Ontario address?

If you still have an existing contract in your initial province, you probably would need help from a fido rep to process the change as plans are different province to province. You could use live chat on Fido.ca or reach out on social media via Twitter or Facebook and request assistance from the social media team. Perhaps a moderator here on the forum could sort it out for you. The variables involved with switching provinces can be tricky. Cheers