cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does whats app works while I have my phone under suspension?

Chispita5
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am planing to move to another country for few months, so I will be putting my phone under suspension; I would like to know if I will be able to use my apps using wiffi while my line is under suspension. 

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Chispita5,

Welcome to the community!

While many apps are tied to phone numbers (ie WhatsApp; see here), their usage doesn't necessarily go through those phone numbers. They use phone numbers as an identifier. However, their data usage can be transmitted either via cellular or Wifi. So as long as your accounts are already set-up, you should still be able to use those apps via Wifi, even if your line is temporarily suspended.

That said, you should note that if you needed to verify any account associated with your phone number, you would not be able to receive verification text messages if your line is temporarily suspended. This detail may be relevant if you use a computer to access some services (ie email, online banking, etc). The different IP address may trigger a verification request.

Fido does offer a temporary suspension for eligible lines. Are you currently under contract? If so, do you have an older subsidised plan or one of the newer financed payment plans? Unfortunately, subsidised plans are not eligible for the temporary suspension as the cost of phones is incorporated into the plan cost. If you have a financed plan, you should note that the temporary suspension only applies to your services. You would still need to pay the monthly costs for financing the device.

If you're eligible for the temporary suspension, you would need to contact customer service to have it set up. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they will also be able to access your account. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers