Does receiving or sending a text message activate Fido Roam?

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

Does receiving or sending a text message activate Fido Roam?

Does receiving (or sending) a txt message activate a daily Fido Roam fee?

On my bill, for three days while I was away I see no data usage or phone calls yet I was charged a daily Fido Roam fee for those. I'm thinking it may be because of txt messages received and/or sent.

Please confirm...

Accepted Solution

Re: Does receiving (or sending) a txt message activate a daily Fido Roam fee?

@Dom3 wrote:

On my bill, for three days while I was away I see no data usage or phone calls yet I was charged a daily Fido Roam fee for those. I'm thinking it may be because of txt messages received and/or sent.

Please confirm...

Hello Dom3,

Welcome to the community!

Receiving SMS should not have activated Fido Roam since there are no charges for receiving SMS. However, since Fido Roam uses your allocation of minutes, data, and texts when you are out of the country, sending SMS would have triggered a daily Fido Roam fee.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP
Solution

Re: Does receiving (or sending) a txt message activate a daily Fido Roam fee?

@Dom3 wrote:

Please confirm...

Hello Dom3,

Receiving SMS should not have activated Fido Roam since there are no charges for receiving SMS. However, since Fido Roam uses your allocation of minutes, data, and texts when you are out of the country, sending SMS would have triggered a daily Fido Roam fee.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted

Re: Does receiving (or sending) a txt message activate a daily Fido Roam fe

Does anyone know if the answer that receiving a text message does not activate a Fido Roam charge is still correct?

I have just been on the phone with a CSR who insisted that receiving the text message will cause the Fido Roam fee of $7 in the US to be charged because "my phone was connected to a US network"

This seems odd to me because if I do not have Fido Roam I do not pay to receive a message.

This makes 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Re: Does receiving (or sending) a txt message activate a daily Fido Roam fe

Hello Rmhall,

It seems as though some of the phone CSRs are misinformed about how Fido Roam is charged Puzzled . A similar occurrence happened in this thread.

Fido Roam.jpg

Taken from here.

So receiving SMS should not activate Fido Roam. Note, however, the data portion of a MMS (either sent or received) would be considered roaming data and would activate Fido Roam.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4