cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does receiving or sending a text message activate Fido Roam?

Dom3
I'm a participant level 1

Does receiving (or sending) a txt message activate a daily Fido Roam fee?

On my bill, for three days while I was away I see no data usage or phone calls yet I was charged a daily Fido Roam fee for those. I'm thinking it may be because of txt messages received and/or sent.

Please confirm...

13 REPLIES 13

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@Dom3 wrote:

Does receiving (or sending) a txt message activate a daily Fido Roam fee?

On my bill, for three days while I was away I see no data usage or phone calls yet I was charged a daily Fido Roam fee for those. I'm thinking it may be because of txt messages received and/or sent.

Please confirm...

Hello Dom3,

Welcome to the community!

Receiving SMS should not have activated Fido Roam since there are no charges for receiving SMS. However, since Fido Roam uses your allocation of minutes, data, and texts when you are out of the country, sending SMS would have triggered a daily Fido Roam fee.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

jasony0001
I'm a participant level 3

false info. just confirmed, as long as you plug in the sim and turn on the phone, you WILL get charged for roaming. doesn't matter if you didn't use anything. doesn't matter if you turned off data and roaming.

Helly Jasony0001,

Sorry to hear you might have incurred roaming charges. However, the information provided above is not false. I was able to confirm the fact that receiving SMS does not incur roaming charges here. I had received the Welcome Abroad notification SMSs when connected to foreign networks and did not get charged roaming fees.

I understand you may have incurred roaming fees when your device received a text message. It should be mentioned that while receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, any data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS. It should also be noted that iMessages and RCS messages are sent (and received) as data and not as text messages (SMS).

If you incurred roaming charges when receiving SMS, it's likely your device used other services when connected to the networks.

In order to prevent unintended roaming charges, it is generally recommended to disable data and roaming data. However, you should note that disabling those settings does not prevent roaming for voice and messaging. In addition, some manufacturers might allow some data usage to occur despite those settings (see here). That's why it is also generally recommended to enable Airplane and/or Flight modes in order to prevent unintended roaming usage. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. Alternatively, people have also removed their Fido SIMs card entirely, However, enabling Airplane / Flight mode or removing the SIM card would also prevent your device from making and/or receiving calls or sending and/or receiving SMS using the local cellular networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

adossa

I am overseas and swtiched off my wireless data before inserting my Fido SIM.  Then I received a text message from my bank with a one time password, and I switched off my phone and took out the SIM.  I did not use any cellular data (as it was switched off) and I did not send any SMSs.  However, I received an email from Fido stating "this email is to confirm that one or more users from your account recently registered on a roaming network."  Can you please advise if I will be charged for this incoming text message?

jasony0001

Yes you will be xharged for roaming. just confirmed, as long as you plug in the sim and turn on the phone, you WILL get charged for roaming. doesn't matter if you didn't use anything. doesn't matter if you turned off data and roaming.

Hello Jasony0001,

@jasony0001 wrote:

Yes you will be xharged for roaming. just confirmed, as long as you plug in the sim and turn on the phone, you WILL get charged for roaming. doesn't matter if you didn't use anything. doesn't matter if you turned off data and roaming.

That information is not correct. I replied to your other post here.

Cheers

Hello Adossa,

Merely receiving that Welcome messages does not incur Fido Roam charges (see here). I understand your notification was via email. It only notifies customers that their device had connected to a foreign network. As noted in the solution, receiving SMS would not trigger roaming charges.

From what you note, I don't think you should have incurred roaming charges. However, I understand people have incurred roaming charges seemingly upon receipt of that Welcome message. However, it's likely their phones also used data to update their systems and/or apps when connected to the networks. I also understand some people have had their data and/or roaming data disabled. However, people need to know how their devices behave with those settings disabled. As mentioned in some of my previous posts, some phone manufacturers might consider system data differently from user data and allow the former usage despite those settings.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jasony0001

FALSE

Hello Jasony001,

@jasony0001 wrote:

FALSE

Cheers

rmhall

Does anyone know if the answer that receiving a text message does not activate a Fido Roam charge is still correct?

I have just been on the phone with a CSR who insisted that receiving the text message will cause the Fido Roam fee of $7 in the US to be charged because "my phone was connected to a US network"

This seems odd to me because if I do not have Fido Roam I do not pay to receive a message.

This makes 

jasony0001

YES, they charge you for doing nothing.

Hello Jasony0001,

@jasony0001 wrote:

YES, they charge you for doing nothing.

Cheers

Hello Rmhall,

It seems as though some of the phone CSRs are misinformed about how Fido Roam is charged Puzzled . A similar occurrence happened in this thread.

Fido Roam.jpg

Taken from here.

So receiving SMS should not activate Fido Roam. Note, however, the data portion of a MMS (either sent or received) would be considered roaming data and would activate Fido Roam.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers