Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Protection Monthly Charge

singhbaba
I'm a participant level 2

Hi Team, 

I recently ordered a phone and choose Device Protection on my account and while placing the order charge for device protection was 15.99, due to technical reasons I couldn't place the order. When contacted customer care the rep was able to place the order but had an issue with placing a device protection order. Contacted the team after a day to get device protection added and was told  I would have to pay 18.99 for it. 

Whereas the device protection link @ Fido (likewize.com) says its device cost (1366.20) excluding taxes for tier identification whereas the customer care rep says cost is inclusive of taxes. Need your support in getting this right. I have the screen capture of the breakdown where you can see it was $15.99 for device protection and not $18.99.  Thanks

Fido New Plan-001.jpgFido New Plan-002.jpgFido New Plan-003.jpgFido New Plan-004.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Singhbaba,

Welcome to the community!

From what I can tell, I think the customer service representive with whom you spoke was incorrect when they noted that the phone tier categories was inclusive of taxes. As you note, the device protection website notes that the tiers are excluding taxes. According to Likewize, your phone would be considered a Tier 3 device and its service fee would be $15.99 as shown in your screen captures.

That said, if you would still like to discuss your bill, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

singhbaba

Thanks @Cawtau . Reached out to Fido's FB page where they accepted it was a human error and got my plan back to $15.99. 

singhbaba

Update ......the issue is not resolved upon checking found FIDO added my old phone device protection. For new phone as its certified they are not taking the discounted value instead they are taking new device value...so awaiting tech support update 

Hello again,

The Device Protection is based on MSRP of the device when released, not what it might cost today, not even what you might have paid for the device (see here). As far as I am aware, the MSRP for your device was $1459.99 (see here). Considering either the MSRP or the Full Price listed in your screen captures, that device is a Tier 3 device.

That device would not be considered a Tier 1 device. While you might be paying less for the device because you are getting a promotional credit, the device still costs the Full Price listed. It's a common misconception that the monthly cost of those phones are reduced. However, that is technically not the case. The device cost shown on the website was calcuated after bill credit. The monthly cost of the phone remains the same but customers are getting a credit on their bill to offset the cost of the phone. For example, if you ended your contract early, you would be required to pay the full remaining balance on the device. That is, you would be required to pay $56.93 x remaining number of months (not $13.67 x remaining number of months) as the remaining promotional credits would no longer be applicable.

In addition, it makes sense that the device protection would be based on the full cost of the device rather than any discounted value. If you happened to require a replacement for the device, I think you would want a replacement of equal value (ie Tier 3). If the device protection was based on the discounted cost, your replacement would be a Tier 1 device.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hey @singhbaba, we're happy to hear it all worked out! 😀