cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databytes

Hailov
I'm a participant level 1

Is there a limit when we use our 1hr of free data bytes? I try to watch a show on Netflix using the free data bytes but I can't finish the show..??

11 REPLIES 11

Me27
I'm a participant level 2

this most certainly isn't true. My son tried it for the first time and gamed on fortnight for about 30 mins and got shut off "due to over usage" but was only (in my best estimatation) around 100-200 meg usage. I was intreged by this, so I tired on my account and same thing happened. Oddly enough, I am trying it right now and at 450 megs an no shut off yet. Guess you system has an algorythem that decides on varaible circumstances? My test just ended. I streamed (guessing) 1.5 gigs and then it ended due to high usage. See photo.

Screenshot_20180507-225622.jpg

Alex_DC
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Yup, Databytes is utter and complete BS. I've been cut-off and received the same "high usage" message after about 15 minutes and probably under 100MB of streaming YouTube videos.

@Me27 wrote:

this most certainly isn't true. My son tried it for the first time and gamed on fortnight for about 30 mins and got shut off "due to over usage" but was only (in my best estimatation) around 100-200 meg usage. I was intreged by this, so I tired on my account and same thing happened. Oddly enough, I am trying it right now and at 450 megs an no shut off yet. Guess you system has an algorythem that decides on varaible circumstances? My test just ended. I streamed (guessing) 1.5 gigs and then it ended due to high usage. See photo.

Screenshot_20180507-225622.jpg

That doesn't sound right. This type of usage should definitely not trigger such message. 

I'll send you a PM so we can look into it together. 

Chat soon! 

mkpswa
  1. Same thing happened many times to me aftee 180+mb and after 15 min. I was tethering to download some files. It was annoying I guess it is policy. 

Hey @mkpswa

There shouldn't be any usage limits when on a data bytes session. The speeds are impacted when tethering but you shouldn't have had your Data Bytes session interrupted. Can you confirm if you had this exact same error message found in the screen captures found above? 

Hey @Me27

We would need to get access to your information in order to check your usage with you.

You can reach us through our channels here.

Or we cans end you a PM here on the Community.

Let us know what's best for you.

Me27

@FidoKenny oh i am not complaining, only saying that it is not "unlimited" for one hour like Fido says as like the previous posts say.

FidoRachel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Although the usage is unlimited, it has to comply with our Acceptable Use Policy

We'd be happy to review the situation if you want more details! 

Me27

@FidoRachel I think you too are missing the point of my post. I am not complianing. I believe in, support and know Acceptable Use Policies are needed. All I am point out is it is NOT unlimited use under normal circumstances. I have demonstated it 3 times. I can do a 4 today if you wish to have another try at denying it, but in the end, you are just wrong. It appears both of us (and the other mod too) do not know how the algorithm determines what is what, when to shut down what it determines, and or how any of it is calculated. 

Again, the only thing I am saying is it is NOT unlimited usage even for one hour under simple streaming. It would me more accurate to say "unlimited use if you keep it under 1.5 gigs of data" lol... which kind of sounds stupid right? The term "unlimited" is a fake buzz word many companies including fido use. I know you have to use this word to keep the playing feild level. 

FidoRachel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I understand @Me27, I wasn't implying that you were. 

If you feel you shouldn't have received this message based on the usage, we can certainly help but it's not something we can specifically address without accessing your account. 

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Hailov

Welcome to the Community Smiley

There's no limit for the amount of data that can be used during a session of 1 hour. We structured Data Bytes around time, not the amount of data used. You get 1 free hour of data, 5 times per billing cycle. Check out all the details here.

When you weren't able to finish the show, did it state why? Did you get any kind of error message?