cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data

Lynnsd1965
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1
  1. It would be a great idea to give unlimited data to your customers at this time of crisis, to keep in contact with friends and family. And not be hit with so much overage charges that will take some people too long to pay without causing financial and emotional distress.
1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Lynnsd1965,

Welcome to the community!

I understand some people might have reduced access to Wifi. However, I'm not sure how feasible removing cellular data limits would be. Current cellular bandwidth is vastly more limited than broadband bandwidth. The amount of information which can be transmitted via the airwaves without degradation is miniscule versus a fixed-line option. It's physics -- Shannon's Law (see here).

Yes, the introduction of 5G is supposed to increase cellular bandwidth. However, the majority of people do not have access to that network. In addition, Fido does not intend on offering 5G for their customers.

Already, there are people who have complained that their broadband internet speeds have slowed since the removal of data caps. A surge in cellular data usage could cripple the networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers