cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data

Blynn
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Since the covid began I am working from home, this requires extra data. Is there anything that can be done to assist with data charges without me going bankrupt purchasing more and more data 

3 REPLIES 3

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Blynn,

Welcome to the community!

Currently, Fido is waiving data overage fees for home internet usage between March 16th and May 31st, 2020.

They are not waving overage fees for mobile internet, depending on your usage paying overage or for data add-ons would be costly.

If you will be working from home it would be beneficial and cheaper to get home internet as opposed to using mobile data.

You can see what Fido offers in terms of home internet here.

oluwafemi11
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I don't really know who must have instructed fido to be given me a crazy bill. I am so surprised that I am the only one they use to do this to

Secondly how they suddenly reduced or consume my data lying to me that is from my end when I never for once downloaded or use it to see a movie.

Hello Oluwafemi11,

From what I can gather, it appears you were charged for data overage. Is that correct? I can understand how it can be upsetting getting additional charges. However, Fido didn't bill you additional charges just to cause your frustration. They charge for actual usage which as occurred on your SIM. You should be able to view the data usage via My Account --> Billings & Services. From there you could save or print a PDF copy of your bill. Alternatively, you could view the additional charges online.

I also understand that you might not have intended on using the additional data. However, you should note that data usage can occur without having to download or watch a movie. Many apps can potentially use data without your knowledge. For example, this community member noted in their post that the Chrome app on their had been unknowingly using data. You should note that many apps can use data without you actively accessing the internet.

As I noted in my reply to that other community member, smartphones can be like double-edged swords. They're great at keeping information at our fingertips, however, that often means using data in the background. In addition to monitoring your own data usage, you would need to identify which apps are capable of using data in the background. Your phone's data usage should give you an idea of which apps are using an excess amount of data. If you haven't already, you might consider going through your apps and disabling background data on those apps which you do not require frequent updating. On my device, only a select few apps have access to background data.

If you would like someone to go over your account, you will need to contact customer service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they will also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers