Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Charged for roaming even-though I didn't leave Canada

kajad
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

HI,

I live in Victoria Bc, very close to the coast and across the water from US.

I have been getting charged for roaming regularly even though I have repeatedly asked  to opt out of roaming on my plan.. In the past I called every 6 months or so and had the charges reversed.

A bit of a hassle. Every time I asked for fido to block roaming on the two accounts but I was told it couldn't be done. I have my data roaming turned off on the phones. . 

I called today wanting to revers 39 roaming charges for the last 5 months 9 of which occurred in the last month.

After spending 2 hours on hold and trying live chat for an hour I was told that they were not able to reverse the charges  but they could block future roaming on my phones.

According to their data I was in the US, which I wasn't.

I have not left the island since last December except for a 9 day vacation at the end of march. 

Supposedly our case has been escalated to the office of the president(???).

Im very frustrated probably going to change providers and take my 3 family accounts with me.

I have been a loyal fido customer for at least 10 years and have recommended them to many people. 

So much for loyalty. Has anyone contacted the CRTC or filed a complain?

Kaja

Kaj

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Kajad,

I replied to your other post here.

Thank you for the additional information. It does sound like there is a US cellular tower which as not yet been identified by Fido as an issue. Hopefully, they'll be able to identify the problematic tower and deal with it appropriately.

You should note that disabling data roaming does not prevent roaming for voice and text messaging. Most newer phones roam automatically. The roaming data switch only controls data when on a foreign network. The only way to prevent roaming on a phone is to manually select Fido in the network settings. That should prevent the phone from connecting to other cellular towers.

Hope this helps šŸ˜€

Cheers

FidoDolby
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @kajad

Thank you for taking the time to write us! This is definitely not the experience that we want you to have with us. I can understand your situation at the moment and if you were connected to the office of the president I'm sure that you will be in good hands. Keep an eye on your inbox, I will be sending you a private message in order to verify your account with you.