Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged Even After I Paid Off My Phone

abaran
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi,

I just realized I’m paying 120 dollars a month for 10gb data meanwhile Fido's highest data/talk package (12gb) is for 60$.

At first, I started paying this amount as a part of phone agreement. However as I can see my phone has already been paid fully, long time ago.

My question is: Why has Fido been charging me this much since I paid off my phone? Shouldn't Fido automatically adjust package?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Abaran,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you did not understand the details of your contract. From what you note, it sounds like you have a subsidised plan.

Many mobile providers used a subsidised model for their contract devices. This model is different from a tab or financed model or the more recently available leasing model.

With the subsidised model, the subsidy is incorporated into the plan (ie small, large, etc). Since the subsidy is incorporated into the plan, your plan does not automatically switch to a BYOP plan at the end of a contract (see here). It is not possible to merely remove the device cost from those plans.

That said, you should note that Fido has now switched from their subidised plans to a financed payment program for new devices. That is, the cost of devices is now separate from the cost of services. Once the payments have competed with the new program, your only remaining monthly costs would be for services.

Since you have a subsidised plan, your monthly billing will not automatically be reduced once you have paid the balance of the phone. As already mentioned, it is not possible to simply remove the subsidy from older plans so you would need to switch to a new plan. However, you should note that the details of the new plans may not be the same as your current plan. If you did not switch plans, you will not automatically get a new cellphone. In order to finance another device, you would also need to switch to a new plan as the old subsidised plans are not compatible with the new financed model.

If you would like to discuss your account, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers