Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send SMS, Fido Error 50?

chengthengchye
I'm a participant level 2

1. Have you power cycled the phone?

Yes, as well as switching SIM slots, and finally switching APNs, both ltemobile.apn & fido-core-appl1.apn, both don't work

2. Do you have the latest OS and messaging app for this device?

I have tried the stock SMS app as well as the official Google Messaging app, both cannot send texts

3. Do you get an error message when sending a text or does it just fail after a while?

After attempting to send an SMS, "Can't send message with Fido, error 50"

4. Can you receive text messages?

Yes

5. How many signal bars do you have at the time?

This happens at all signal bar strengths, 1-5 bars

6. Are any other services affected?

NO, calls and data still work as intended

7. When did this start to happen?

Immediately after we switched from data only to a pulse plan. Before that, I was able to send and receive sms

Info:

• Xiaomi Redmi 4X
  • Been a data only subscriber for 2 years (3GB $15) until I recently switched to a Fido Pulse Plan
  • Android 7.1.2
  • Also cannot send a text message to myself, same eror 50
  • Tried *#*#4636#*#* - SMSC field is empty
6 REPLIES 6

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Info:

• Xiaomi Redmi 4X
  • Been a data only subscriber for 2 years (3GB $15) until I recently switched to a Fido Pulse Plan
  • Android 7.1.2
  • Also cannot send a text message to myself, same eror 50
  • Tried *#*#4636#*#* - SMSC field is empty

Hello @chengthengchye try entering +15149931123 in the SMSC feild and see if it works.

chengthengchye

Thank you for that information, I updated the field with the smsc number and I still cannot send SMS

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @chengthengchye,

Thanks for all the info, you've given us a head start so we can narrow down the issue.

Just to confirm though:

7. When did this start to happen?

Immediately after we switched from data only to a pulse plan. Before that, I was able to send and receive sms

Data only plans will charge you pay per use fees for outgoing text messages as this feature is not included in the service. Were you texting using the default messaging app on your device or were you using a third party app and texting through your mobile internet?

That being said, you can reach out to us at these channels so we can look into it. We can also send you a PM here if you prefer. Let us know!

chengthengchye

I was texting with the default messaging app as well as a 3rd party app (google messages).

Hello Chengthengchye,

Welcome to the community!

According to this list of CMS Error codes, Error 50 refers to Requested facility not subscribed. This page suggests some possible causes and resolutions:

Cause 1
The SIM card isn't provisioned for SMS Service, or there is an SMS service restriction in place.

Resolution 1

The Wireless Carrier network needs to provision the SIM card for SMS service, or remove any restrictions in place.

Cause 2
The device is set to send SMS Text Messages over the Packet Switched data network, where this functionality isn't supported by the wireless network provider.

Resolution 2

Change the Network To Send Over setting in the Text Messages options screen from Packet Switched or Packet Switched Preferred, to Circuit Switched.

I understand the information is related to Blackberry devices, however, it might prove useful resolving your situation as well.

You might consider contacting customer service to ensure text messaging is properly provisioned since your previous plan was data only. They might also verify there are no blocks on messaging. Alternatively, you could send a moderator (MOD beside their name) a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account details.

With your device, is there a setting to switch how SMS are sent? You might verify any settings are set to Circuit Switched.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @chengthengchye

Did @Cawtau's suggestion helped? 

Keep us in the loop Smiley