Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive google verification codes via SMS

uyfytd
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

Until Sunday morning, I was receiving my google verification codes via SMS completely fine. But on Monday, I tried to sign onto gmail and I never received the SMS. I have several gmail accounts all linked to the same phone number and I've never had this problem before. I've been checking every few hours the last 3 days with different accounts to see if I'd get the SMS but I haven't. I am receiving SMS from other people though. I've been with Fido for almost 2 years now. I asked a friend who also uses google two-step verification (with different carrier) if he's receiving the SMS from google when he tries to sign in just now and he said he is. Is there something blocking the SMS messages from google?

Thanks and all help is appreciated

36 REPLIES 36

FidoKenny

Hey @uyfytd and thank you for using the Community Smiley

@Community: Anyone else having that situation happening?

uyfytd

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply. I just tried it and it's working again but that was pretty scary. Do you know what it could've been? It didn't work for a couple of days

That's awesome! Thanks for letting us know! 

Not too sure what would cause that. Sounds like the issue may have been on the other end though. 

dchang
I'm a contributor level 1

It's happening to me currently.

I joined Fido on Thursday. Was receiving SMS messages to temporary phone number fine.

I completed the port of my old number to new cell phone (today).

Google verification codes won't SMS my new cell phone.

I called Fido support and Scott was able to SMS me.

I can receive SMS from my other contacts but Google verification code SMS messages are unsuccessful.

Hey @dchang!

Welcome to our Community Smiley

Was the temporary number the one registered for the 2-step verification? Have you already registered the ported-in number with your account?

dchang

Thanks @FidoClaudia,

Yes the temporary phone number is the recovery phone number for Google.

And I'd like to now change my Google recovery number to my permanent phone number.

Oh, and I've already removed the 2-step verification. Once I have the permanent number in place I re-enable 2-step verification.

Thanks for letting me know @dchang!

Once your permanent number takes effect, you can follow these steps to change the number registered with your account:

1. Click on your name from the upper-right of any page to open your account menu.
  2. Click Settings from the account menu and select the Security tab.
  3. Under Two-step verification, click Edit.
  4. Enter your password and click Next.
  5. Enter your phone number and select Save

Hope this helps Smiley

dchang

Hi @FidoClaudia,

You misunderstand. The porting of my permanent number has been completed. My permanent number is my current number now. However, when I try to update my Google with my new number, it sends an SMS message (which I don't receive).

So for some strange reason I cannot receive SMS messages from Google (there is some problem between Google and Fido).

Strange.

Dennis

My bad and thanks for clarifying that @dchang!

Just a few more questions to better understand what's going on:

-are you using the Google Authenticator app?

-are you still using the same device as previously or did you recently change it when you joined us?

Let me know and we'll take it from there Smiley

dchang

@FidoClaudia,

So that I don't have to repeat myself let me go through everything (a lot of which is context and not pertinent).

1. I lost my phone (which is the recovery phone for Google)

2. I got a new phone with Fido (Fido gives me a temporary phone number)

3. I start Google recovery

4. Google recovery completes and grants me access to my account (I add temporary phone to Google account), disabling 2-step verification

5. Fido completes port of my new phone number

6. I attempt to replace my number with Google (Google sends SMS to verify change of number), I don't receive SMS from Fido (to my new number)

So #6 doesn't require Google Authenticator because it's part of a 2-step verification process that has been disabled during the recovery process.

Could you ask your IT folks if SMS messages are being queued up someplace for my number? I would give you my number here but it's a public forum.

Thanks for your help @FidoClaudia

Dennis

Hey @dchang!

Thanks a lot for all the details!

If you're able to receive all your other text messages, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the texts themselves on our end.

Are you able to switch between receiving your verification codes by sms to voice call? If so, we can always give that a try to see if it works.

Keep us posted!

FidoChristina

dchang

Hi @FidoChristina,

I've managed to add 2-step verification with a phone call verification step. But obviously it's not ideal because I'm sitting on the phone for 20 seconds everytime I'm verifying. I tried changing the verification step to a SMS message but it also fails.

And I still haven't been able to add my new phone number as the recovery phone.

I've tried https://websms.fido.page.ca/2way/login.php and it works fine (sends me SMS messages).

But Google and

http://afreesms.com/intl/canada

fails to deliver a SMS message to my phone number.

The good thing is that afreesms.com actually returns a Text Message ID (see below).

Can you try the service and message your own Fido number to confirm if it works for you?

If it doesn't work for you then you can ask IT why?

If it does work for you, you can at least trace the ID and see if it was delivered or not.

Thanks for your help,

Dennis

Text Message ID:SGP3PPPHCCGKDUBJFR4J417NH4

Server DateTime:Thu, 20 Oct 2016 13:43:22 -0400
Destination Country:Canada
Destination Number:  +1416XXXXX55
Geographic Number Location:Toronto
Mobile Carrier:Rogers Communications Partnership (Wireless)
Operator MCC / MNC:302720
Destination DateTime:Thu, 20 Oct 2016 15:13:22 -0230
(America/St_Johns)
SMS Message Type:Normal SMS (GSM alphabet)
Text Message:
Minimum is 10 characters.

Hey @dchang

Manuel taking over! 

I'd like to confirm a few details in order to find a solution for this.

You mentioned that you were not to able  to add your new phone number as the recovery phone. Are you getting an error message at that point? 
Is it possible to post a screencap here? (make sure to hide any personnal information).

Can you also confirm which messaging app you are using? 

Lastly, are you connected to Wi-Fi network or not?

dchang

Hi @FidoManuel,

I asked a few questions earlier and I wonder if they were confirmed or not?

Specifically whether you could duplicate my experience with afreesms.com sending an SMS message to a Fido recipient cell phone? What about the Message ID?

To answer you questions:

No, no error. See screencaptures.

Messaging app? I'm trying to receive SMS. No messaging app is required. Although I am using afreesms.com to send test SMS messages to my cell phone.

My laptop is on wifi yes.

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.57.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.58.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.58.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.58.20 AM.png

I was not able to replicate the issue since we don't offer support for that website. 

Regarding the Google verification code, I was able to receive mine with no delay.

Your phone uses an app in order to receive the text message, that app can be Hangout, Messenger or any other. Which one is your phone using for your SMS?

For the Wi-Fi network, I was referring to your cell phone, is it connected on Wi-Fi?

dchang

Hi @FidoManuel,

You're suggestion to disable Wifi worked. After disabling Wifi I was able to receive an SMS message to the Message app on my iPhone. I've now successfully recovered my Google account.

Much appreciated to the Fido Community in helping me fix this nagging issue. Smiley

Dennis

Amazing! Glad it's working now! 

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Ogeid85

Hey @FidoManuel,

I'm having the same issue with a OnePlusOne phone. I did everything you suggested, nothing has worked so far.

I'm not able to get messages from Google, whatsapp verification, etc. (automated services mostly).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hey @Ogeid85

Just to confirm the WiFi was disabled? 

Can you also confirm which messaging app you're using on your phone? 

Let me know! 

Ogeid85

Hi @FidoPamela,

I tried everything:

- Wifi disabled

- Several factory reset

- reinstalling various messaging applications

At the end, the issue was solved. My guess is that it was a matter of time since the transfer of the number was done very recently to when the issues happened.

Thanks for your help,