Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-wide calling

iversa
I'm a participant level 3

I don't understand what "Canada-wide calling" means

It says 

3 Calls from Canada to Canadian numbers only, billed by the minute. Additional minutes: 50¢/min (Call Forwarding: 20¢/min).

How much do I have to pay a minute? What does Additional minutes at 50 ¢/min mean?

7 REPLIES 7

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Iversa,

Welcome to the community!

Fido's plans include either a limited or unlimited number of minutes. Canada-wide calling means that those minutes already include Canadian long-distance. On the other hand, with plans which only include local (or Provincial) calling, Canadian long-distance would be additional for calls outside of their local calling areas. For example, a customer with Canada-wide calling can call Vancouver to Toronto without additional long-distance charges, whereas a customer with local calling making that same call from Vancouver to Toronto would incur additional long-distance charges.

With plans which only have a limited number of minutes, any usage in excess of the allotted minutes would be additionally charged at the rate provided. If you have a plan with unlimited minutes, that overage rate is not applicable.

What plan do you have?

**edit** You should note that both incoming and outgoing calls count as airtime minutes and both would be deducted from any minute allotments**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

iversa

I'm new to Fido and looking at signing up for the 5 GB 50 plan. Does that plan come with unlimited calling Canada wide? 

It says Unlimited Canada min.  Does that mean that I can call any Canadian number at any time of the day without paying per minute?

I see that plan also states UNLIMITED evenings and weekends so I'm not sure what that means.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information.

Since the plan states that it includes Unlimited Canadian minutes, any calls you make to Canadian phone numbers and any calls received (while in Canada) will be included. So yes, you can call any Canadian phone number at any time of day without incurring additional charges. Though, you should note that calls to premium phone numbers will likely incur additional fees.

I understand the details also mentions Unlimited evenings and weekends. That specification would really only be applicable on plans with a limited number of minutes. Since the plan in which you're interested includes unlimited minutes, that point is moot.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

iversa

So how can I know for sure what numbers will likely incur additional fees? I live in Brampton with the 905 area code. Will I have for calling 905 numbers?

It is confusing to have moot points in a plan. 

Hello again,

I apologise for the confusion. The premium phone numbers I provided in the link above would include services such as psychic hotlines, party chat lines, etc. Calling those numbers is charged for the service. In addition, some Quickdial numbers (ie 4-1-1) are also charged for the service.

The point that was moot (unlimited evenings and weekends) has no bearing on additional fees with that plan because the Unilimited Canadian minutes includes evenings and weekends.

@Cawtau  wrote:...any calls you make to Canadian phone numbers and any calls received (while in Canada) will be included. So yes, you can call any Canadian phone number at any time of day without incurring additional charges.

Yes, calling phone numbers with Brampton area codes (ie 905) is included with that plan.

Hope this clarifies 😀

Cheers

Hello @iversa,

Since the plan has unlimited Canada-wide minutes you can call any Canadian number at any time without incurring any fees. The only time you will incur fees is if you call a non-Canadian number (US or International).

iversa

does that mean that I have to pay by the minute for calling local numbers as well?