cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make calls

AbhiRami
I'm a contributor level 1

I changed my phone and now I can't make or recieve calls. I have data connection though. I have tried every basic actions like, reseting, changing mobile network etc, still no change. Is there anything you can do from your server. 

10 REPLIES 10

FidoPhilippe

Hey @AbhiRami! Philippe here. Welcome to the community. Smiley

I'll be happy to help you out! Please answer the following:

1. Can you tell me a bit more about what happens when you make a call? Do you get an error message?

2. Also, are you able to able to send and receive text messages?

3. Can you also tell me what kind of phone you have and whether it's fully updated or not please?

Let us know.

AbhiRami

Hello, 

Thank you for replying.

1. It says dialing but its doesn't connect

2. I can send and recieve message 

3. My phone is Honour 9 lite its fully updated

Abhirami 

Hello AbhiRami,

Welcome to the community!

When you say you can send/receive messages, are they text messages or other messages which might be sending via Wifi? Is your phone showing good signal? Do you know which version of the Honor 9 Lite you have? This customer in this thread seems to have similar issues to what you describe. If you can send/receive text messages and use data, that would suggest that either those specifications might not be accurate or you could have a different version of the device.

There does appear to be a Global version of that device.

2G:GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900;

3G:WCDMA: 850/900/2100/1900;

4G:LTE FDD: B1/3/7/8/20

According to those specifications, that version would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that version would only have one compatible band/frequency. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. While the phone should work on the LTE networks, coverage would depend on corresponding bands/frequencies used on your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here.

If you do have the Global version, you should be able to make and receive calls. Have you verified your phone is using the proper APN settings? Since the device is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify those settings here.

Since that device is not available from Fido, certain features like voLTE and Wifi-calling won't likely work. Have you verified that the phone is not set for voice over LTE or voice over Wifi, if those options are available? You might also consider trying to disable LTE or manually setting the network to 2G/3G to see if that allows you to make and/or receive calls.

Were you able to make/receive calls from your location with a previous device? Have you tried to replace the SIM in your old phone to see if you can still make/receive calls? Occasionally, SIM cards can be damaged when transferred to different devices.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

AbhiRami

Hello,

I tried everything you said.

The phone is global version. I can send and receive text messeges ( not in wifi ) and I have data connection as well. I changed the APN settings as you suggested, did not work. The sim is fine, I checked with another phone. When I switch to GSM or WCDMA, it shows as no service. However when it is in auto ( or LTE) there is service. But when I try to call it shows dialing for a while and then shows no service.

Hoping for your reply.

Thank you

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. When you replace the SIM back in your old phone and switch its network to GSM or WCDMA, what are the signal levels like? Are they good, strong signals?

If you're on the edge of 2G or '3G' coverage, the reception on your old phone could be better than that of Honor 9 Lite allowing it to make/receive calls. You do note that the Honor gets no reception when set to GSM or WCDMA. I understand that you're able to send/receive text messages. It's possible that the SMS are being sent via the LTE network. I'm not sure if voLTE is required to send/receive SMS or if it's possible to send without the voice feature. If this is the case, you might consider trying to get closer to a cellular tower to see if you are then able to make/receive calls. You can find the tower locations from the link posted above.

It's also possible that those specifications listed for the device are not accurate and the phone doesn't actually have any compatible 2G or '3G' bands or frequencies. Alternatively, there might be programmer settings which can select which bands are available to the user. You might consider contacting the manufacturer to see if they can confirm the band/frequency specifications for your particular device or whether they can enable the required bands if it is related.

With the exception of voLTE or Wifi-calling, voice calls would be transmitted via the 2G and/or '3G' networks. Most newer phones would standby with the best data connection. In your case, that appears to be LTE. When calls are made or received, the phone would have to switch networks (fall-back). That's why you get service when the phone is set to auto or LTE. Unfortunately, if the device shows no service when switched to GSM or WCDMA, there isn't much that can be done to get your calling to work. There are no available networks on which to fall-back.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

AbhiRami

Hello,

I guess there is nothing else to do but change the phone. Thank you for your reply and support.

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @AbhiRami,

Is your phone rooted or do you have any call recorder, VPN, or anti-virus apps installed?

Try booting your phone in safe mode and see if you can make a call if you can then it most likely and installed app that is causing the problem, see here on how to boot into safe mode.

If it works in safe mode then you can do two things start uninstalling apps one at a time to see when one is causing the problem.

Factory reset and do a fresh setup and install your apps one at a time (sometimes when setting up a new device and you do a restore from a previous phone it causes issues like this)

AbhiRami

Hi,

As you suggested I tried resetting my phone and running it in safe mode. Still can't make calls.

Thank you for replying

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

@AbhiRami try this,

1. Remove Sim Card

2. Go to Settings->Advanced Settings->Backup & reset-> Network settings reset tap Network Settings Reset, and confirm the whole operation tapping Network settings reset one more time.

3. Reinsert sim card.

4. Reboot phone.

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hey @AbhiRami did you do a factry reset without doing a restore? If you can try aonther working SIM card in your phone to see if it works, if it's not sotware and your SIM works in another phone then it could be a hardware issue.