cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I receive SMS in Hong Kong with a prepaid plan?

G35C
I'm a participant level 2

Dear all, I will be travelling to Hong Kong for several months, I am currently on a normal monthly plan, looking to change to a prepaid plan, will I be able to receive text messages (SMS) in Hong Kong with a prepaid plan?  Does receiving SMS in Hong Kong count as roaming?  I do not need any call or data in between.

If pre-paid doesn't work, does that mean I have to at least get a talk and text plan?

Thanks, appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello G35C,

I replied to your other post here. As mentioned, pre-paid plans should be able to roam on a pay-per-use basis (see here). Roaming charges only apply if you make or receive calls (including checking voicemail) and sending SMS. You wouldn't get charged for incoming SMS. However, since data is not available with pre-paid plans, you would unlikely be able to receive any data within MMS. 

As also mentioned, if you currently have a post-paid plan, you would be able to migrate your services to a pre-paid plan. However, you should note that there would be a migration fee for the transfer. In order to migrate your services, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

G35C

Thanks for your reply again, reason Im asking again is because I saw this line under the prepaid plan in the details, which I am not sure if I have seen this before, it says specifically "in Canada", so just want to make sure if theres any change in regards to receiving SMS outside of Canada.

"Unlimited incoming texts in Canada2."

Thank you.

Hello again,

Fair point. That certainly does make things confusing as the associated Full Details footnote states:

...Sent/received premium texts and texts sent while roaming are extra ~taken from here.

That statement would suggest roaming is still available with pre-paid plans. In addition, since they only specify sending texts while roaming are extra, that would seem to imply receiving texts why roaming would continue to be free of charge.

Perhaps @FidoSolutions could provide some clarification, please?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hey @Cawtau@G35C  Very_Happy 

You can refer to @FidoSaad' s explanation on this thread

Basically, as long as the prepaid plan is active, you should be able to receive text messages while roaming, free of charge.

Note that you'll be charged the premium text rate + the roaming rate, if you're sending/receiving premium texts while roaming. The premium texts are also billed in Canada, but outside the country, the roaming rate would apply as well.

Hope this helps!